xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tansqrx

Its All In The Sound Of The Keys

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This article should make the paranoid even more so. Apparently researchers at UC Berkley have devised a way to tell what you are typing by the sound of the keyboard keys with a 96% success rate. This research takes recording audio of keystrokes a few steps further. Much like speech recognition, the software can learn sounds and after that the audio is run through several algorithms that guess at the spelling.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before such things would happen. When I read this story the movie Sneakers immediately popped into my head. All the technology has already been on the market for years, it was only a matter of time before it was stitched together. My guess is that the CIA, etc. has had this technology for years. So will you give a second look out your window when you see someone holding a parabolic microphone?

I can't remember where I read before - but in one the Spy-devices site, I'd found a device that costs about $99 and looks like the cylindrical Magnetic Shield clasp that you often find right behind a monitor connector cable (VGA Card end). This device nicely fits over your keyboard cable and is almost entirely unnoticable. This beast of a device has the capability of recording about 100 million keystrokes. All you need to do it get to the target's computer and casually slip this over his keyboard cable and it'll start recording. The electromnagnetic field generated from the keyboard cable is enough to drive this device. It doesn't need any power source of its own. It even comes with its own software - which you can use on your own computer to download the keystrokes and study them.

Along with this device, I'd read about another one too - which does exactly the same - but remotely. It detects the electromagnetic pulses that your keyboard emits over a range of 2-3 metres and translates them into recorded keystrokes. Not just that, you can use the same to tap someone's ATM PIN Code - standing right behind that person in a queue. Knowing these, the sound detection method doesn't come as much of a surprise. I mean these sort of devices are the real SILENT KILLERS :) Scary but cool to the core.

Im Totally Paranoid NowI Wish This Was At Least A Lil Suprising But We All Knew This DayWould Come Its Probably Gonna Be Bundled With Those See WhatYoure Spouse Is Up To Programs Thats When Ill Start To Worry.