xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
marretas

What Shall I Learn First In Programming ? How to begin programming ?

Hey guys i'm posting here because i've a doubt, about 1 year ago i started to develop a certain taste for programming, at first i tryed code Websites using Html ,then with php, then Mysql, and at last all together. Now i alreday finished my hardware Reparation course, but that old taste for programming is calling me to do other thing else besides repair hardware. Meanwhile i've develop taste for other several kinds of languages and i'm a bit confused because i dont know whitch programming language bring me future. So i wonder what programming language shall o learn and why do you think about it ? Is it because brings a open future to make a career ? What are your sugestions for me? Its important to say that i dont have favourite one, i just want one or two languages to start learning and even take some classes to increase my knowladge, and seek for a better future , a Programmer Language Future :P . Heehe :)

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Hey guys i'm posting here because i've a doubt, about 1 year ago i started to develop a certain taste for programming, at first i tryed code Websites using Html ,then with php, then Mysql, and at last all together. Now i alreday finished my hardware Reparation course, but that old taste for programming is calling me to do other thing else besides repair hardware. Meanwhile i've develop taste for other several kinds of languages and i'm a bit confused because i dont know whitch programming language bring me future. So i wonder what programming language shall o learn and why do you think about it ? Is it because brings a open future to make a career ? What are your sugestions for me?
Its important to say that i dont have favourite one, i just want one or two languages to start learning and even take some classes to increase my knowladge, and seek for a better future , a Programmer Language Future 

Well, i`m new at all this pogramming thing, so i can`t give an advice to you :P By the way, my congraditulations that did all this things! What`s for me, I just have a huge stuck, because i just can`t completely install MySQL. it says it something wrong or just something like that. So i really need help. Anyway, i wish you good luck in your career :)

Well, PHP is the in thing pretty much right now and Xisto supports it, so its a pretty good option.

First though, I strongly advise you learn HTML. Don't just skim over it or brush up on it. Read all the tutorials for HTML and CSS at HTML Dog. The reason for CSS is that, if you ever want to make a good website and complying with standards, not using tables (which is a good thing), you need it. So, once you've learn HTML and CSS, i'd say its time to learn PHP. The best PHP tutorial out there is the PHPBook, from hudzilla.org. This long book will take time to complete, yet do not skip any of it. I was very tempted to skip some to get to the good bits, yet I wouldn't of understood them if I did skip.

Finally, learn CSS using the PHPBook too. It teaches it pretty well. Hope I helped.

Its obvious that u didn't understand what i was trying to say. I Just need an opinion or suggestions for start learning a programming languages that may be good to my future. i was wondering try to learn JAVA, or C++ Or .net , But i know that are lots of other languages. Give your suggestions. :)

ya, I was about to say that people above didn't understand you, I certainly did though (ironically). Well, anyways, it's much easier to program in java than C++.

public static void main (String[] args) throws IOException {        System.out.println("Please input your name: ");        LineNumberReader in = new LineNumberReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in));        String name = in.readLine();        if (name != null) {            hello(name);    }

This code will ask your name, then displays it. *Code maybe incorrect as I haven't tested it*

xboxrulz

Well it really depends on what you want to do with your life. If you like gaming alot, you could make them. If you want to work for a big company, you could use sql to maintain their databases, or you could just write up your own consumer software and sell it. For that you'd probably need alot of c++ and things like that. There are also ofher obscure ones for certain tasks like game design. You could also learn multimedia flash if you've got a sweet spot for art. Basically, anything you are good at you can adapt to computers, so you really should narrow that down a bit. or you could always be a freelance website and software maintenance and construction expert.

Of course programming is dificult, but i what i like to do with my future is work on a company, work in projects and so. SQL is definitly a good way to open doors for work world, i even know a little of it, and i already contact a SQL school for foward lessons. Like Vicious_AD said i also can work as freelancer doing webjobs ( websites and other ), and i also can develop my own software and sell it. But in your modest opinion what its the programming language of the future ? There is more than one ? Also Explain me each following programming languages exaclty do, i mean where they fit 100%. JAVA SQL C++ Cobol VB.net Maybe i can combine all 4 and work i recently heard about Phyton , i didn't know that she exist's nethear what she does. Thks for the previous posts :P : give me your opinion :)

Java - versatile and 'safe'. Good for making net appliucations and the like. It's a good beginners programming language as alot of the more complex problems are handled for you (not always in the best way, but they are kept behind the scnes so you don't need to worry about them). ZThis lets you have more time for learning the basics that flow through with all languages.SQL - Database handling. I don't personally know much SQL related stuff, so someone else can assumedly give a better idea about it.C++ - good for programming games, operating system, etc. It's c but better. You need to worry about some things that java does for you, but at the same time c++ stream lines certain aspects of java

Notice from vujsa:
Posts merged here.
Crap my net crashed and what I had typed got posted in its own bit :| Ah well I'll finish herec++ - Certain things like i/o and file i/o are set up easier then in java, at least in my opinion. But overall c++ is more complex usually. More powerful to for the most part.Cobol - As far as I know, if you are interested in learning 'future ready' languages, don't bother with this one. It's pretty much only used to maintain previously developed systems.VB - eeeevil... ok this one depends who you ask, but I hate it.Designing gui's and basic apps is simple (drag and drop weeee) and interfacing with sql is a snap... its just... too... something. Although officially it's used alot now so it wouldn't be a bad time investment if you are hoping to get work with it.Its's early and I'm still half asleep, so if anything is wrong just yell at me and point out my errors. Personally I'd suggest focusing on java and c++, starting with java if you plan to learn both and c++ if you only plan to learn one. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure others have their own personal fav.

Java & SQL, Java can interact with SQL as PHP does ? Java its to make a forms secure , i'm i right ? Maybe i will dedicate to this two kind of languagesDont stop giving your opinions :P ths for the replys & for the help :)

Here is a good website and some advice

What Shall I Learn First In Programming ?

Djeezs all those opinions.

For looking what could be the best one, go to Tiobe programming index.

There you can see the "usage" of programming languages.

For programming in general, I recommend:

==> C++ (programming in general, most (>95%) programs and all the commercial games are still written in C/C++ as far as I know)

To give an idea of where C is used in:

OpenOffice, Linux, Paint.Net, windows, Gimp, photoshop, firefox, Pidgin, google earth, inkscape, mediacoder, Filezilla, free download manager, codeblocks = ide, Visual studio, Java Virtual Machine and Python compilers

==> PHP (scripts and dynamic webpages)

==>SQL (it isn't really a programming language but a standard for making databases)

And if you want to learn even more:

=>Java (Not my favourite because you need the JVM but it's very popular)

=>Python (Good very high language, but you don't have to write so much as in C is also extendable/blendable with C++ or java)

And if you still haven't got enough:

=> Perl

And then just all the programming languages of tiobe in the top 20 and the top 50 and then the top 1000.