xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PureHeart

Any Good Free Software For Midi -> MP3 Is there any software for that?

I want to convert MIDI files to MP3 or WAV so that I can include them on a audio CD. Is there any (free) software for that purpose?

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Well, considering that MIDI is written a completely different way, there really is no way to drectly covert it such as you would with AIFF to MP3 or WAV to MP3 and such, I have done it though in BeOS and Mac OS X. I don't think Audacity does it, but if you take a browse through download.cnet.com, you might find something that will do it for you. If all else fails, a stereo minijack cable going from your line out to your microphone slot on your soundcard will do. Some sound recording prgrams will catch whatever sound the computer is putting out at the time, but just make sure your vosume settings are all muted except for your MIDI output. Hope that helps.

You could always try playing the midi, recording all sound coming off your sound card and then save it is a MP3 file in Audacity or something. I don't know how to do this, but I know it is possible as i've seen and listened to people doing it. Good luck.Andrew.

There is a way to do it. I wouldn't know about freeware, but you should be able to get a trial version of cakewalk. i've used that. import the mp3, create a blank track to record to, and then arm the track for recording. then just play the midi, and it automatically records it in realtime. then to export, you need to pay for the mp3 encoder, but just do it to wav, and then to find a wav>mp3 encoder freeware is a piece of cake. read up on the help files for cakewalk, and who knows, you could figure out how to do it in other freeware programs too.