xisto Community
teartrack_sos

Unfreezing Your Computer

Okay, you know when your computer freezes, and you can't unfreeze it? I have found 2 ways to solve this issue:

1. When your computer freezes, press *AT THE SAME TIME*

ctrl + alt + delete = unfroze computer!

2. Or, if your computer has a restart button, press it to restart you comp. You may lose you info, but it happens to everybody. :)

-----Not enough information to be considered a tutorial. Moved from [Tutorials] to [Operating Systems > Windows]-----szupie

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

If your computer is frozen or seems to be running really slow and pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete does work, look in the Processes panel for an application that is using too much processor cycles. sometimes a single program can really slow down or freeze your system, after that just right click and kill the process.

<sarcasm>When computer freezes smash your head into the monitor, else install Linux :)</sarcasm>actually, the only way to unfreeze your computer is to kill the processes shown above, restart and hope that it doesn't do that again.Else, take my sarcastic suggestion of installing Linux (no kidding.)xboxrulz

And does anyone know what to do when you're trying to close a process, but it won't let you? not as in, "this is a critical system process" type error, but like when you're trying to close media player (frozen) and it's not using any processor power, but it allocated memory starts climbing past 200 or 300 MB, your computer slows to a crawl, and the ctrl+alt+delete trick doesn't have any effect. Yeah you can push the restart button, but what if you have important info you haven't saved yet?& to xbox, I would like to install linux on my laptop, but when i checked into the different distros, and which one was reccomened for my Compaq Presario, it was said Ubuntu had the most built-in driver support etc for Compaq models. However, when i installed it it wasn't able to find the proper drivers for about half the hardware in the computer. So what other distro would you reccomend i try?

& to xbox, I would like to install linux on my laptop, but when i checked into the different distros, and which one was reccomened for my Compaq Presario, it was said Ubuntu had the most built-in driver support etc for Compaq models. However, when i installed it it wasn't able to find the proper drivers for about half the hardware in the computer. So what other distro would you reccomend i try?

Ubuntu is the most compatible distro with laptops, i have it on my sony vaio laptop with pci cd rom, it's the only distro allowed me to set it up using this cd rom, and it found all my drivers, all of them work with it fine, try the new version, Breezy.

Graffiti, I recommend SuSE Linux
It never failed me once!

xboxrulz

thanks. will try it.
XIII, i tried the ubuntu first. but as i said, for some reason either i have a buggy version or just unlucky.

When the computer is frozen to the point that the only thing you CAN do is hit the restart button or unplug it, what kind of damage could that do to a computer, other than not having a document your working on not being saved?

Is anyone else noticing a pattern here......1a) someone Mentions somthing possative about MS windows (goto 2a)1b) someone Mentions somthing negative about Ms windows ( goto 2b )2a) someone comments on how Linux does positive thing better, (goto 3)3) someone recomends that origonal poster uses Linux and surgests a distro.4) someone else recomends a differant distro and compares to origonal distro.5) Yet anouther 5 page distro comparason thread.Its nice that linux has such a strong following here at Xisto, but remember, Amiga fanatics killed the clearly superior platform, by preaching too much.Lets Not argue over linux Distro's int he Windows forum.Too many linux users remind me of Cult leaders hiding in the bushes outside churches sunday morning, waiting to pounce on any christian that looks less than extatic about his/her religion.

Grafitti, above where you mentioned the process climbing to 200-300mb+ ram usage and whatnot, if you kill the process in the actual processes tab (not the application tab) I don't think I've ever seen it not die... although sometimes it pulls windows down with it. If a process gets to this state you are also pretty much screwed if you have unsaved data :S Hopefully the program has an autosave feature that you can use to recover most of your work heh.

Linux users don't really remind me of cult members. They're just trying to get more people on their side because there are so few Linux users out there. It's gotta be lonely. *grins*

Grafitti, above where you mentioned the process climbing to 200-300mb+ ram usage and whatnot, if you kill the process in the actual processes tab (not the application tab) I don't think I've ever seen it not die... although sometimes it pulls windows down with it. If a process gets to this state you are also pretty much screwed if you have unsaved data :S Hopefully the program has an autosave feature that you can use to recover most of your work heh.

No, here, i'll give you an example: System.exe, lsass.exe, etc
these processes won't let you close them. What if your system.exe is running at 100% CPU power and gobbling up 300+ MB of ram? a virus? possibly. but then again maybe not. i did find that if your system.exe file is running at max overhead and freezing the computer, check the active printers and faxes folders to see if there are any tasks in queue. a print job that failed to print, etc. that will take up all your available power and if you clear the print queue alot of times things will go right back to normal.

This does not work when you press ctrl alt del because this only closes the programs when it is not froze and it does not work when you do itg when the computer froze