xisto Community
ram130

A Larger Mtu, Is It Possible? This topic is about setting a larger MTU

When your tweaking your internet settings to get a faster speed or to get the most out of you connection, you have certain options that you tweak. Like TTL, MTU, etc.. Now the MTU(Maximum Transmission Unit) for the most part seems to have a great effect on the speed of your internet connection from my experience. For different connection types, the MTU value varies, like for example: Dial Up the MTU would be 572 bytes, DSL(this depends) 1472/1500. Now, I'm using my phone as a wireless modem via GPRS and I get speeds antithetical to dial up and ISDN. So far what I've gather is with playing with the MTU size is that it works best at 1500 for my connection(no errors) and GSM network(lets call them C&W) but download speeds are always fluctuating. When i switch to my other GSM network(Digicel), I get unfluctuated speeds, which is great and the MTU the same as before(1500). But when I look at the connection status this time, after about 2hrs of downloading, streaming and surfing the net, there are errors( like 20) yet while doing those things, I notice minor problems( like time outs). Now before i had switched, I had set the MTU to 1472, from which i got a very stable download speed, but it was slower than before. So i'm left with the theory that the 1500 MTU set for this network(Digicel) is too small and i'm wondering, is it possible to set it above 1500 bytes? :)

I'm afraid the MTU on your phone line and on your PC must match the MTU on the sending engine (mainly your ISP). If not, I guess your PC will have to re-send data, which gives globally worse results than keeping standard value of MTU. :):P