xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nightfox1405241487

Network Domain And Dynamic Dns

Hey,I was looking through the config pages of my Linksys WRT54G router and found a Dynamic DNS page and decided, what the heck might as well try it. Since I'm restricted to two services (DynDNS.org and TZO.com) I tried out DynDNS.org and got a domain for my network.I also enabled remote management so I can be at school or on the road and can check the status of my network or remotely do something to the router without having to get the IP since Alltel DSL is dynamic which is a real pain but since I can go days, I usually have the same IP for awhile unless the network decides to go wild.I was just wondering if I can do more with this domain other than remote router management? I don't know much about domains being used on a network and would like to see what I can do with it!Thanks![N]F

A popular example could be like hosting a web server at home. Another example can be to build a file server.Those will mean part of your home network is going to be exposed to the internet in a wider way than not having any server, so be sure to take necessary precautions in terms of security if you do choose to do so.

if your router supports port forwarding, you could setup servers, remote logins etc etc etc.My home computer runs giFT daemon. it is a p2p file shareing program built with a server-client architecture.from wherever i am, if i have internet access, i can ssh into my home computer, and tell it what to download.when i get home, its finished.Also, you could go crazy and run your own email servers, unlimited inbox :)and if someone sends you a file with a huge attachment, you downt need to download it, as it was uploaded directly to your machine.ALSO, i find that i can keep my email servers more spam free than my ISP provided email.Or.. even cooler.. run a TOR node. and an annonymour web site !!!with tor, your web server is completely annonymous. its imporrably to trace where the real server is.there are so many cool things you can do.. (assuming you have atleast one Unix / Linux machine on your network)

haha! I'm happy with my gmail email account. Mail servers are too much of a hassle.If I do anything, it will be under Windows. I love Linux to death, but I'm not exactly skilled in it. Either FTP won't let me in or Apache is flipping out... guess what courses I'm going to take in college! :)omg... what am I thinking? lol, this is just a home network! I'm not running a data center (although I would!)Mainly, I've been using my domain to connect to my router at school and check things. I've also created an Intranet site on an old computer that I'm using as a server. The only problem that I have found is that my ISP, Alltel, gives the router an external IP and so all computers on my network share that IP. I need to figure a way to launch multiple servers, each with their own domain or use the network domain...[N]F

You could also try getting a dynamic domain name, so whenever your IP address changes, your domain name turns to the new IP address. Alternatively, you could ask your ISP for a fixed IP address, which should solve the problems.:)

You could also try getting a dynamic domain name, so whenever your IP address changes, your domain name turns to the new IP address. Alternatively, you could ask your ISP for a fixed IP address, which should solve the problems.

:)

1064337683[/snapback]

One advise - read all the posts in the thread before you attempt to add in anything. The thread starter himself has said that he's availing the dynamic dns service and wants to know what more he can get out his router+network. Hence, the post that you made is quite pointless, isn't it ?

One advise - read all the posts in the thread before you attempt to add in anything. The thread starter himself has said that he's availing the dynamic dns service and wants to know what more he can get out his router+network. Hence, the post that you made is quite pointless, isn't it ?

hehe... go m^e :) that I did.

Anywho, the nice thing is, even when the IP changes on the router, it (the router) automatically updates the DNS service for me. I think it updates every 30 seconds or less or something, but I don't have to do anything! :P

So far, you can open command prompt and type "ipconfig" and now instead of seeing "domain.invalid" which was driving me crazy, it now shows my network domain!

I have a question though. Just to make sure you understand my ISP, Alltel, only provides 1 IP and that goes to the router. Say I wanted to launch 2 web servers on two different domains. How could I acheve this? Since I also have to allow inbound port 80, I specify port 80 and the internal IP on the router.

Thanks!!

[N]F