xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ramesh_mc

Aol Releases Netscape Browser 8.1 AOL Releases Netscape Browser 8.1

Version 8.1 of the Firefox based Netscape Browser was made available Wednesday, bolstering the software's spyware protection and adding a built-in RSS reader that displays news feeds directly in the browser. Netscape touts improved speed and security, while offering the ability to use IE's engine for compatibility.

The spyware protection in Netscape 8.1 automatically scans all downloads and blocks potential malware. A new security center has also been added to highlight the browser's safety features. AOL has additionally enabled support for multiple profiles in version 8.1, which will allow different family members or users to have separate settings, passwords and bookmarks.

Source: http://betanews.com/2006/01/25/aol-releases-netscape-browser-8-1/

Download from:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Netscape-Navigator-for-Windows/995608362/1

Notice from miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG:

Lost credits worth 3 days.

[tab][/tab]At Xisto Forums, if you make posts that contain material directly copied from other sites, you're supposed to do the following:

Make sure the entire copied part is put between QUOTE tags

Make sure that at the end of the quoted block, the originating web-page is mentioned in such a manner that a single click will lead to the originating article

Include the original author's name is applicable.

Failure to do so it considered Plagiarism - which, on our forums, is synonymous with SPAMMING.

For every such SPAM you receive a warning.

5 warnings lead to a permanent ban.

Also, when such posts are found, all the credits you gained for it are entirely deducted.

Moreover, even if you follow the above-mentioned rules, and yet, your whole post consists of simply a huge QUOTE-d block with source citation, but no authentic material on your part, it is still considered as SPAM and will be dealt with in the same manner.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

I set my dad up on Netscape 8 about a year ago when it was released. He also uses the low cost Netscape internet service, but things have been great. He leaves it in FF mode with high security, but can use MSIE for IE only sites like his bank's and credit card company's (which NS allows since they have all their secure stuff on file). I remember he went to paypal to buy something from ebay and a security warning popped up telling about the many phishing scams and paypal even though he typed in https://www.paypal.com/de/webapps/mpp/home in the address bar. Anyway, NS has become my favourite broswer on the windows platform because it allows the best of both worlds: FF & IE in a single application plus the intergrated Google search box and tabbed browsing we've come to enjoy. If they offered a Macintosh version, i'd probably use it over Safari, but they don't so I use (and I am quite happy with) Safari on the Mac side of the house.

Version 8 of this programming travesty was horrible - even worse than 7. It seems like the last few builds have just been getting worse and worse. I used to be one of the world's biggest Netscape fans, but it would take nearly Herculean efforts to pry me away from Firefox at this point.As for reports that Netscape's latest release features improved speed: I doubt that they've managed to make it much faster than 8. And 8, even on a brand-new computer (first thing I downloaded, actually), was super-slow.

While I admit that NS8 had some pretty nifty features, I'm afraid I found it to be rather bloated. There were a lot of stuff there that I didn't need, and I don't think the average user does either. Also, I didn't like the layout. Maybe AOL is trying to diverge from the whole IE-inspired look that most browsers use, but what they did with NS8 just looks awkward. Why the heck did they put the search box to the left of the address bar anyway? It confused the heck out of me during the first time I used it, and even after I got used to it a while later, it still bugged the heck out me.

The added security is good, of course, but it just isn't enough to redeem the whole package. Being able to toggle between Firefox and IE views would have been great, except that I kept having problems with it. I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes when I open a new tab, it views pages like IE even if I've got NS8 set to render in Firefox view by default. I had to hit the toggle switch again and wait for the page to reload just so it would render the page with the layout engine that I wanted.

There's a comment on the linked download page in the first post that describes what could be a major issue. Apparently NS8 forces a restart of your PC upon installation without any warning. I can't verify that as I didn't install the NS8 I used, but if that's true, then it's going to piss a lot of people off. Can anyone here verify that accusation?

Heh even though in your description it says the firefox based browser this is a bit far from the proverbial tree so too speak, even thought it boasts many of the enticing features and security, unfortunately i also had trouble with the making them work, the interface was just horrible and even though i know firefox takes longer to start than internet explorer netscape is certainly pushing it at the moment.