xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vicious_AD

Problem Installing A Premodded phpBB I think its a problem with the server..

Well I've installed this same premodded phpbb before many times on many other servers, and it works fine. I know it wasn't the phpbb premodded board itself because of this; however, I keep getting this error whenever I try to install it on this server:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Host 'gamma.xisto.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server in /home/vicious/public_html/metabbv4/db/mysql4.php on line 48Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/vicious/public_html/metabbv4/db/mysql4.php on line 330Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/vicious/public_html/metabbv4/db/mysql4.php on line 331phpBB : Critical Error Could not connect to the database

I better not get mobbed by some dumb "use the search button" group for this, ebcause I did search it and there was only one other case like this and noone helped him. Can somone tell me what to do?

OK I won't tell you to search Vicious_AD but from the error that I see you are simply not connecting to the database. You will need to check your config .php file in the root directory. The file will look similar to below;

// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file// Do not change anything in this file!$dbms = 'mysql'; // This is correct for Xisto$dbhost = 'localhost'; // This is correct for Xisto$dbname = 'vicious';  // Make this correct on Xisto is is usually your username$dbuser = 'xxxxx';     // This needs to be the same password as the cPanel$dbpasswd = '';$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);?>
You can go to the cPanel then to file manager and you will see that file (config.php) in your root or whichever subfolder you put the phpBB files into possibly metabbv4 the problem starts in the db folder which is basically trying to connect to the database server and here is the code that starts the error.

function sql_db($sqlserver, $sqluser, $sqlpassword, $database, $persistency = true)	{  $this->persistency = $persistency;  $this->user = $sqluser;  $this->password = $sqlpassword;  $this->server = $sqlserver;  $this->dbname = $database;  $this->db_connect_id = ($this->persistency) ? mysql_pconnect($this->server, $this->user, $this->password) : mysql_connect($this->server, $this->user, $this->password);
The other two lines are just the lines that tell you about the error. So go to the file manager and find the config.php file in the metabbv4 folder and there is an option to edit it, just fill in the proper values for the user and password then try it again and you should be good to go.

OK I won't tell you to search Vicious_AD but from the error that I see you are simply not connecting to the database. You will need to check your config .php file in the root directory. The file will look similar to below;

// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file// Do not change anything in this file!$dbms = 'mysql'; // This is correct for Xisto$dbhost = 'localhost'; // This is correct for Xisto$dbname = 'vicious';  // Make this correct on Xisto is is usually your username$dbuser = 'xxxxx';     // This needs to be the same password as the cPanel$dbpasswd = '';$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);?>
You can go to the cPanel then to file manager and you will see that file (config.php) in your root or whichever subfolder you put the phpBB files into possibly metabbv4 the problem starts in the db folder which is basically trying to connect to the database server and here is the code that starts the error.

function sql_db($sqlserver, $sqluser, $sqlpassword, $database, $persistency = true)	{  $this->persistency = $persistency;  $this->user = $sqluser;  $this->password = $sqlpassword;  $this->server = $sqlserver;  $this->dbname = $database;  $this->db_connect_id = ($this->persistency) ? mysql_pconnect($this->server, $this->user, $this->password) : mysql_connect($this->server, $this->user, $this->password);
The other two lines are just the lines that tell you about the error. So go to the file manager and find the config.php file in the metabbv4 folder and there is an option to edit it, just fill in the proper values for the user and password then try it again and you should be good to go.

1064336404[/snapback]

Thank you, but I'm a little confused by what you mean by

"proper values". Supposing my database is Vicious_forge, my user name vicious, and my password ***, how would I put that into the coding? I know little about php, so what's the proper way to do that?

That is your problem if that file is empty there is no way that you can connect to the database. Basically the config.php file is run every time you start your web file or make any change or have any occassion to connect to the database. So the config file must be there.

Copy and paste this into the config.php in the cPanel when you have the proper values in there. Here is the code excep[t for the password you nedd to correct that part the rest should work just fine.

<?php// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file// Do not change anything in this file!$dbms = 'mysql';$dbhost = 'localhost';$dbname = 'Vicious_forge';$dbuser = 'vicious';$dbpasswd = "takeThisOutAndPutYourPasswordHere";$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);?>
Now Copy and paste that into the config.php file and save it then go to the home page of your site. You will probably have to set up your Admin and all that but this will get you going.

It's better not to use these premodded scripts.

Actually the only real problem with a premodded script is that if you have other mods installed you will most likely have t reinstall them, no modification for phpBB ever will change the config.php (unless your mod was from a malicious hacker) since most mods deal with the forum itself not access to the database although some mods do require alteration or updates be made they depend on the config.php to work. The only real benefit to a premodded mod is for a system with no mods at all, it just saves a lot of hand editing that could takes an hour or so, and then still end up with a type or leaving something out.