xisto Community
juventino79

Windows Vista Question

Windows Vista is funny.. i had the latest one and it said my laptop bios wasnt acpi compateble? riiight.. Now i cant test vista because it wont boot because of the acpi issue :D removed vista but now i'm stuck with the pretty vista bootloader asking me to continue setup (which isnt there anymore) or to boot to an earlier windows.. my original xp :P

Krish can you stop spamming with so many wmp11's. About that, WMP11 will be released when Windows Vista is out.
xboxrulz

I tried the beta of Windows Media Player 11, and I really wasn't impressed, sure it looks a little different. It is really just Media Player 10 with a new skin in my opinion. And of course with Vista it will be 3-d but that seems really impractical to me, even though I am building a new PC when Vista comes out, I doubt I will run the 3-d interface just because it seems unnecessary.

I dont like the new UI ( aero ) , For some reason my brain says , " NO !!! " , dont know why , but Vista runs hardly any programs , with out crashing :(

I have seen numerous reviews and glimpses of Vista and it seems like the design is similiar to Mac and i see that they have added widgets which is also nice. I would expect that it probably will not come out until late december or early January. Microsoft is known for pushing back release dates so it might be awhile. Another thing that i noticed is that Vista for laptops, severly drains battery life. It will probably require around 3.0 gigs. If anyone has a Beta version could they let me know how i can get one?

I'm planning on dual booting with it. Vista is in its second Beta which says 2 things to me:1) Most (if not all) of the bugs that can kill hardware are gone.Explanation: Think about it, who did Beta 1 go to, the techies. Unless these people are required by work, they are capable enough to easily switch to Linux. Microsoft cannot afford to tick these people off by killing hardware, so most of those bugs would have to be handled during Alpha phase. In addition, these people probably did a lot more with Vista than most people, so any bugs left to kill hardware were probably found in Beta 1, and they would be rmeoved before Beta 2.2) It is probably safe to use Vista in addition to XP so long as you make frequent backups of the Vista Partition and you don't share partitions between the two.Explanation: This is the second Beta, which means Microsoft is sure there are still some bugs out, so they don't want to expose themselves to lawsuits by going Gold, but otherwise it is safe for release to the public. This Beta is to wet the public's appetite. They want us to try Vista, love it, and buy it. If it messes up our system, that's not going to happen. So this is the Google tactic of "leave it in Beta forever to avoid lawsuits"As such, I plan to devote a 20-40GB partition to Vista, while maintaining my 100GB XP Partition. If I find Vista Beta 2 to be stable, and I like the OS, I will eventually switch to the other way around, but if not, I simply wipe Vista and move on. Or, I could wait for Vista to go Gold and then buy it so I'm not running a Beta as my main OS.~Viz

My friend installed the Beta version of Windows Vista onto his computer. He said that it is such a memory hog even though he has a top of the line computer with 2 gigs of RAM. The only thing he liked about it was the "new" alt-tab, where the screen kinda becomes 3 dimensional and you see a slightly angled view of all the windows you have open.He also liked the "next-gen" version of Solitare and Minesweeper. Windows Vista has a native resourse monitor much like you would see on Linux systems with SuperKaramba, but this monitor hogs up so much memory, you are better off keeping it closed.He had problems shutting down the system because Vista would only let him hibernate. This may have to deal with his hardware though since its a computer he built himself.After a week of Windows Vista, he formatted his hard drive and went back to Windows XP.For me, I'm glad I rarely use Windows anymore and probably won't get a new computer until Service Pack 1 comes out of Vista, then I'll re-partition that piece and install Linux.

Hurray, about time.

Posted Image

Includes 10 dvds :( (of which atm I only need 4, but anyways). Will be putting a new partition on my main disk soon, people recommended some programs.

Includes a driver dvd, as there has been great progress on that side ever since beta 01.

I agree with you, vizskywalker. Once I find out vista is stable I'll be using it more and more and often and reporting bugs/feedback.

Beta 02 is to wet public's appetite, if it were as instable as the BETA 01 august release they'd scare them instead of attracting :( However it is well known that its beta and not preview.

I recommend looking for the vista version of your hardware drivers. Drivers, that's what it all matters about ;)

I finally grabbed and installed Vista Beta 2 and have been using it for about a week to gather enough information to make a decision. Here are my conclusions:Aero: Wow and wow again. Amazing. Simply amazing. Now, why can't Microsoft make an aero plugin or upgrade for XP? I love it, enough said.Lack of Toolbars: Intersting approach. Confusing at first, but you get the hang of it.Control Panel: Yay, so many more tools, easy access to ones that have been around for a while, good progress.File system: Not too much improvement, search speed is a little better, but not too much.Start Menu: Her I have some issues, no windows media player, all programs is knida odd, and shutdown is very weird. Restart or sleep is the defautl I think,and it only has a picture for that, and shutdown on the login menu, I like XP's shutdown method better.Software: Not much change so far, most of the XP Programs have worked with exception of one important one to be talked about under drivers.OpenGL: Origianlly, Vista was not supposed to have OpenGL support. I don't know what happened, but haven't had a chance to check, should be installing Jedi Knight soon and letting you know.Drivers: Some progress with native drivers, but some lack of progress. Still no native support for touchpad drivers except as PS/2 Mice. I tried to use my Sony XP Reocvery Disk to install the mouse driver, but the recovery application won't load. Some issue with Sony drivers. I blame ony more than windows since Sony is being a jerk about making a big deal of computer Vista readiness and not offering or mentioning Vista drivers to come. But loss of mouse functionailty is a big thing. Seems to support some XP drivers though, so it's not too bad.Overall impression: Could shape up to be a fine OS, need to check a couple things, and need better driver support from third party companies. Other than that, I like it and will almost definitely upgrade or dual boot.As for the person who claims it is a memory hog, I have 2 Gigs, run the resource monitor all the time, and notice no issues except for occasionally during the first minute of bootup. Might be his sytem.~Viz

Aero: Wow and wow again. Amazing. Simply amazing. Now, why can't Microsoft make an aero plugin or upgrade for XP? I love it, enough said.

Because it's a new feature and they're supposed to release a new version of windows, not a free vista upgrade tool :( Aero is more than "just a plug-in", integrated in entire vista.
Damnit, have to focus on my studies. I know that getting partitions and OSes to work and play around can be quite distractful ^^

For those with the public version, are extensive bug reporting tools etc integrated? Or automatic feedback system you know of?

First thing I'm going to do is disable UAC ...

Automatic, no. However, when bad things happen, a bug report tool similar to what XP has when there is a program crash or you end a nonresponsive program appears. And it has a feedback and bug report tool that you have to manually open, but it easy to use.~Viz