xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ccb_v2

Gonna Get This Computer

My friend offered me a dell optiplex gx1 for free just because I gave him a game and he really doesn't want it anymore. I did a quick google search he said it was a 500mhz and I just wanted to make sure. I"m not sure if I want it. I mean hey its a computer! but maybe theres a cpu upgrade avalible. Does anyone here know anything special about this computer? I'm look for agp slots stuff liek that.

Well, since it IS free, you should take it. Even if it does have 500mhz, you can use it for miscellaneous file storage and things of that sort. I'm sure there is an upgrade available, since the computer was only released 3-4 years ago. I would take the computer and upgrade it to 1500+mhz and at least 20GB, since it's only 6GB to begin with. The worse case senerio is that you sell it on eBay for $50.

I wish I had some extra system (although that I had 3 PC already). I think that system is great for software testing. If you develop a application. You may want to test it on that system. If you're not a programmer. Such a system is still useful for backup purpose, anyway.

I would take it. If nothing else, you can trade it around with other friends to get your hands on computer parts, or maybe something else that you would rather have. You gotta love being able to swap things to get other stuff. That's pretty much how one of my brothers (before he was legally old enough to work) kept getting his hands on all sorts of things, including spending money. And an enormous trampoline.

I wouldn't excpect much upgrade posibilities.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=manuals

The fastest CPU seem to be an Intel PIII 600MHz (not much of an upgrade I'd say :D ).

Just accept it, you don't get a free pc every day, and if you can't do a thing w/ it, just sell it afterwards ($50-$150 if you're lucky).
I have a PII400 pc, it's enough to run win98 and win2k (though win2K is very limited in speed because of the very slow hard disk drive and the small amount of memory (=96Mb)).

I agree, just take the pc and use it for storage, or upgrade it a little and put a few games on it. It's always good to have a few computers around if anyone comes over and you want to lan party or something. That is if you don't have hi-speed like me :D. As far as upgrading it however, like posted earlier you probably won't be able to get a whole lot out of it, but an extra cd drive or cd/rw drive and modem/ethernet card can always come in handy. Parts are always great to have.