xisto Community
jedipi

Vista Will Not Support Old DVD Drives

Windows Vista will not support old DVD-ROM drives
Old DVD-ROM is the dvd rom that do not handle region
coding in hardware. Those DVD-ROM allow playback
regin/CSS encoded DVDs. D

VD-ROM that made after year 2000 would not have problem with that.

Source:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/

Hello jedipi,Well, I wouldn't really worry much about that. Although, I'm mostly against Microsoft's policies regarding hardware support, or lack thereof, in general, I wouldn't say this is a completely bad decision.First of all, region encoding has become very beneficial, since DVD-ROMs are in much more use now all over the world. Plus, the drives that do support it aren't that expensive, that one would may favor buying an old one to a new one.Personally, I'd love it if the DVD industry came up with a better way to do things than region encoding. With the storage sizes of modern DVDs, one would think that's possible.Anyway, thanks for the informative post. :-)

Yes thanks for sharing this with us even though i must say it is not suprising in the least. This is the way companies and their respective "partners" have been doing business for years ...tell me which Microsoft computer running after windows 98 second edition can recognise a 5.5 inch floppy drive :D... Its just another way to allow for product rollover and create the "next generation" for the consumers. And im sure alot more than DVD roms will not be supported.

I agree that it's not a bad idea. especially since they're not totally phasing out dvd drives. if say they were to try to make the ONLY accepted standard blu-ray or hd-dvd i think then it would be more a problem. as it stands, if you actually have one of those dvd drives that old, you may as well get a new one, or stick with your normal Windows XP. I think this is just common sense; if you go out to buy the latest Vista and have the high-end hardware needed to run it, are you seriously going to stick in your vintage dvd drive just because it was your first ever, or some other silly sentimental reason. that's the only reason i can see someone actually wanting to do that. To use Reaver's 5.5 inch floppy as an example, if you bought a computer with XP, would you actually stick in the 5.5?

well not to go off topic to much about outdated hardware. I think its time that the floppy drives goes the way of the dodo, think about it we got external hard drives, we have usb memory sticks that hold 100-200x more info then a floppy..:example:.1.44mb floppy vs the 150mb usb memory stick.I don't feeling like carrying 200 floppies for a report or anything (I highly doubt its gone that far).But with the current updates to dvd-rom hardware I give 5-10 tops before blu-ray is the standard in computer systems.you can garuntee that all sony products will be installed with blu-ray in 2 years tops, Sony Playtion 3 is blu-ray standard, you can expect dvd players and walkmans to be blu-ray within 2 years, computers that will be a longer trial most hardware compare got to hardcode (did I get that term right) all their products to both Vista and blu-ray.But of coure we are all hoping for when neural networking (pluging a cable in your skull) comes out then the only computers needed would be servers.

If this is true - its not pretty good idea for microsoft, they make a real conflict with this. Anyway Im not worried too much because I have a new DVD player, but all those people who use an old one, can't upgrade their system? it's stupid. One way or another linux is best choice. :D

Anouther reason i dont like windows.I have never understood why region encoding is even legal.I cant imagine beeing raided by the FBI whilst on holiday in america for using a toothbrush i purchased at home in England !!!On my last holiday, i took a video camera. (qhite cheap, records to AVI files)I then used ffmpeg and to convert the avi to an mpeg2 with ac3 audio (a DVD player compatable file)and used dvdauthor to create the video DVD disk onto a writable DVD disk.The DVD plays fine on Windows98, Linux, and Older DVD players (set top boxes)But on new dvd players, and windowsXP the disk will not play !!!Because i used free and open programs to make the DVD, the dvd is NOT css encrypted, and does not have a region lock.Because of this, WindowsXP wasnt quite sure if my DVD was a legitimate DVD (it was, as i recorded the video myself from my holiday)So it decided to lock me out, and refuse to play the media.This Technology Slightly in-coviniences the Film Pirates.And Completely ruins everything for legitimate customers.Do i have to work in Hollywood to make a home-video dvd that will play on my friends computers ????

This Technology Slightly in-coviniences the Film Pirates.

And Completely ruins everything for legitimate customers.

1064335916[/snapback]

Pretty much. You would think that the DVD industry would have learned something from all the problems with various artists' CDs not playing in certain players because of anti-piracy/copying coding. I remember that there was a CD that I wanted to buy (can't rememer which one now), but before I could news reports came out about that record label, and that album in particular, receiving tons of complaints from legitimate customers. These CDs would play in standard CD players, like the boombox that I had, but if you put them into certain computers, or even car stereo systems, they wouldn't play at all.

So. If the DVD industry can't figure out a better way, they're going to spend more time fielding complaints from people who actually paid money for the products than they'll spend on catching the tiny number of people who pirate the stuff.

Oh. And that CD? It was all over the Internet for free download. The anti-piracy protection only worked for a few hours, if that long, before a whole bunch of computer wizards got around the coding.

about saint michael post. " Do away with floppies." Well, I sorta agree with you however I as a systems admin for my company order PCs and still add the floppy to it. I seemed to be still scared to not have a floppy drive. Just in case I needed to copy a small file over.. like bios update or a license file. Some computers are not even on the network so I cannot just copy it over the network or download it. Of course you have the option of USB and CD-R However I don't have an USB thumb drives available and not sure if im going to go out and buy 1 just for that. Burning CDs is just to painfull especially if your trying to make a boot disk. Everyone has floppies around so you cant run out of those unless you finally got the nerve to trash them all.