xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

A Bunch Of Cool Windows Xp Tips

How to change the hard drive space devoted to System Restore

Windows XP System Restore uses a large amount of hard drive space for storing system restore points. You can change the settings

1- Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools

2- Run System Restore Points

3- For each drive or partition, you can click on the Setting button to change how much hard drive space is devoted to each one, and there is even the option to turn it off for all drives.

How to clean Prefetch Directory

WindowsXP has a feature called Prefetch. This keeps a shortcut to recently used programs. To clean Prefetch Directory

Go to Start > Run > and type Prefetch

Now you can delete files

How to disable Logon, Logoff, Startup and Shutdown Status Messages

1- go to start > run > and type “regedit” to run Windows Registry Editor

2- find and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system

3- create a new DWORD value named DisableStatusMessages and give it a value of 1

Please Note :Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Im sure that sole realised this and im sure other users will to and only those confident enough to want to change these settings will attempt to do so, and the instructions provided are to the point and easy to follow so im sure nothing can go wrong in the way of registry or any of the other settings. To put people at ease though i know everyone likes to see a "how to reverse these changes" section so next time maybe tell them that it IS possible to delete and reverse changes made to your computers registry and maybe een a little tutorial on doing a registry backup soleimanian.

If you've backed up your registry, and know how to restore it, you can play pretty much however you like with it, and if something goes wrong you simply restore. i've messed up my computer countless times, but simply restored the working registry when i crashed it. Though i would still reccommend a second computer, old P2 or P3, to keep for experimenting on, rather than using your workhorse.

Thanks for the great tips and hints for Windows XP soleimanian. I've been looking for some things to help to try and enhance the performance if my computer and these are really good. However, there are a few questions that I need to ask you or anyone else:

Windows XP System Restore uses a large amount of hard drive space for storing system restore points. You can change the settings
1- Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools
2- Run System Restore Points
3- For each drive or partition, you can click on the Setting button to change how much hard drive space is devoted to each one, and there is even the option to turn it off for all drives.

Are there any disadvantages to doing this? I mean, surely something so simple would have some negative effects...maybe? Please correct me if I am wrong.

WindowsXP has a feature called Prefetch. This keeps a shortcut to recently used programs. To clean Prefetch DirectoryGo to Start > Run > and type Prefetch
Now you can delete files

Do these files go to like a recycle bin or something. Because even though it would be good to get rid of these files, we might want to access them again? And also, do these files take up any memory space?

1- go to start > run > and type âregeditâ to run Windows Registry Editor2- find and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system
3- create a new DWORD value named DisableStatusMessages and give it a value of 1

How can you back your registry up, just in case you make a mistake? Grafitti mentioned it in his post and I though that it's a good idea.

Thanks again for the tips...i'll be sure to try them out! :D

having a user set pagefile is good, just remember to set it equal to your Physical RAM amount, but also remember that if your running over 1gig of ram not to have a gig of virtual memory. I do a lot of video editing on my system and have about 1.5 gigs of ram and have a 1 gig harddrive swap set. The problem with having over a gig of virtual memory is that Windows based PC's don't always utilize the page file properly and thus you actually start to see a system slow down. When that happens you should clear the swap file and start fresh. Having the system set to clear the page file at system shut down is a good thing when allowing the computer to manage its own Virtual memory size and usage or allowing it to have over 1 gig of page file.

Thanks! I`ll try it! :D I think this one is the most good for me:

How to disable Logon, Logoff, Startup and Shutdown Status Messages
1- go to start > run > and type âregeditâ to run Windows Registry Editor
2- find and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system

Please Note :Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system.