xisto Community
juventino79

Suggest A Good Wireless Router WTB a WIRELESS Router

Hello everybody i have 2 pc's a laptop and an xbox i am looking to get a wireless router so i can take my laptop to the can. Anyone have any suggestions on which router is best and also range wise how far i can go from my house and still catch my wireless signal.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Linksys routers are one of the top ones mentioned by a lot of users. Take a look at Epinions for Linksys and other routers. My friend uses a Belkin F5D7230-4 router and like it. Read the reviews on Epinions to see what other users have to say.

Getting signal in your house usually should be no problem depending on the environment. Will there be lots of interference like many walls between your laptop and the router? Remember, any interference like walls (especially walls with metallic compounds in them) can decrease the router signal. Try to put the router in a centralized area with the least interference (trial and error basically, test it out). Most routers today will allow you to change the Channel. This is very useful since the default Channel will have a lot of interference from the 2.4GHz range (like cell phones, microwaves, etc.). Probably best to get a 802.11g wireless router...

I've always used D-link personally, have a 802.11b/g one right now, it's pretty awesome, works well even in my aptartment building where there are about 14 wireless networks visible at any given time :|. Linksys is also a good one, I've never heard complaints about either company. I'd say you are safe with either of those, just make sure to get a 802.11g as weaponX said since it's the newest tech, not worth it to buy an older b one.Oh, and make sure to enable wep and any other protection available on it. That'll stop people from hopping onto your network if you have a long range one. If you get one and its range doesn't extend far enough, you can buy little amplifiers or even make some yourself from what I've heard for pretty cheap. If you need REALLY long range, I'd reccomend googling for that first to know what you are getting yourself into money wise. But for the most part 802.11g routers have pretty good range. As shown by, like I said, how I can see a crapload of networks in my buidling from 3 floors down and on the other end of the building, its not a huge apartment but still, thats ample range and the signals are still strong (and my wireless card isn't that great)So to summarize... linksys or dlink, 802.11g, WEP ON, enjoy

Hello everybody i have 2 pc's a laptop and an xbox i am looking to get a wireless router so i can take my laptop to the can. Anyone have any suggestions on which router is best and also range wise how far i can go from my house and still catch my wireless signal.

1064334452[/snapback]

well you can use a 11mbit router but a 54g+ got alot of signale range

to extend it put the wireless router so high as possible to extend it :D

Yah I agree with everyone else Linksis and D-link are the way to go but if you really want some range then you can go with NetGear supposidly it suppose to have AWSOME range and suppose to be really fast never having tried it my self I can vouch for it but you could always go for the D-link Gaming router dude it just sounds awsome you know you cant go wrong but if you really want if you get a buffalo wirelesss router then you can also get the repeater that they make a repeater is kind of slef explanitory it gets the existing wave from the router and retrasmitts it to make another area more accessible or you can go for the buffalo High gain antenna makes it go really far but make sure your not in a really condensed resitential area or someone might steal your internet and make you pay for it the choice is yoru young one choose wisley