xisto Community
GNR-D

Rock Vs Rap: What Do You Prefer ?

What do you prefer?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally, I prefer rock for many reasons:

1) It's been around since the late 1940s, early 1950s.

2)It takes alot more skill to learn bass, guitar, drums, than it does to talk in one monotone voice to a looping drum  machine.

3)When playing live, rap artists never sound good because auto-tune fails outside the studio, where actual talent is needed.

4)Are there any rap artists in their 70s? No. Will there ever be? No, as they will all have either shot eachother, spend life in prison, or die of lung cancer before they are 50. Paul McCartney is 70 and he still plays live concerts. 

5)Eminem thinks he's black. Yes, that is a valid reason.

6)Ludacris 'discovered' Justin Bieber. That's enough to bring rap/hip hop down 500 points.

7) Rock does have meaning, soul, power, now read as I give a little history lesson on one of the most soulful artists out there, John Winston Lennon:

Born in 1940 during the height of WWII, John was an 'accident' meaning neither his mother or his father wanted him to be born. His father left when he was 4, to places unknown to the rest of the family. John's aunt Mimi, seeing as her sister was unfit to take care of John, took him into her care. He wrote poetry, stories when he was young, and eventually learned to play the guitar. Fast foward to 1958, John, now 18, was just starting to fix the relationship between him and his mother when his mother was hit by a speeding drunk police officer and killed. This moment would shape his life forever. Fast foward again to 1966-1969. During this time, John wrote songs such as 'Julia' (His mother's name), Revolution, a hard rocker about the war in Vietnam, Yer Blues, a bluesy number, and Sexy Sadie, a song about the Maharashi and how his so-called 'Spiritual Ways' seemed so hypocritical to him. There are many others to numerous to list, but I continue. Fast foward to 1970-1980, John, now seperated from 'The Beatles' starts to write songs about his views of the world. 'Imagine' his trademark song, asks people to 'Imagine all the people, living life in peace.' 'Mother' another song about his mother, and a bit about his father (Mother/You had me/but I never had you---Father/you left me/but I never left you). 'I Don't Want To Be A Soldier' a song about war in general. And finally, what I think is the most thought provoking song, 'Beautiful Boy' a song he wrote about, and to comfort, his son Sean. Why I think this is the most thought provoking is when you think about what happened on December 8th 1980. John was riding home from the recording studio to see his 5 year old son Sean. Yoko (his wife) suggested they get something to eat. John, wanting to get home to Sean said no as they went home. After getting out of the limo outside their apartment, a single man, Mark David Chapman, was waiting. As Lennon walked by, Chapman shot him four times in the back, killing him.

And may I state that he never once called a girl 'ho' or '*BLEEP*' 

-reply by Beatleboy62

First off, you can not just say you that you hate a genre completely. You can not just say you hate rap based off what you see on MTV or hear in the car. I listen to practically everything, but mostly rock and rap. Personally, I like rap a bit more, and it is pretty clear that most people on this site do not. Now if it is mainstream rap, I completely understand. Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, and especially Soulja Boy to me are completely talentless, among many others. I do not understand how people listen to 'Every Girl' by Lil Wayne, especially chicks. "I wish I could (beep) every girl in the world" can be taken many ways, and pretty much all radio rappers talk about stuff like woman being sex objects... Or cars... Or money... Or the club... Or their chains... Etc. Old school and underground is where it's at because the songs actually have meaning to them. Immortal Technique, Lowkey, Army of the Pharoahs, Hieroglyphics, Cunninlynguists, Benefit, Lords of the Underground, Big L, A Tribe Called Quest, Biggie Smalls, Wu-Tang Clan, and of course Tupac had exceptional talent.

1) Songs have diverse subject matters

2) No Auto-tune

3) Original ( there is a fine line between sampling and plagiarism )

4) They Rapped For The Sake Of Rapping, Not For Popularity

-reply by AOTP

a guys rock its better then rap in any day cos rock haves more hard work to do rock is the best in makes you forget all your problems in makes you wild cos they don't talk about the same **** over and over again like rap rap sucks the only rapper is a little ok is eminem but what I'm saying eminem sucks 100% to so rock and roll is here to stay rock gives more saying into the music the songs it takes a lot of soul and lets not forget the cloths to lol rock for ever for life

I like oldschool rap,rock music.People who like rap hate rock and those who like rock hate rap music so thats what it is.It is funny that the black americans created rock and roll but they do not want to have anything to do with it.I never knew they created it untill I learn the history of rock and roll or as it was call long ago RACE MUSIC.

Rock=Great, Rap=Okay, Mainstream Rap=CrapRock Vs Rap: What Do You Prefer ?Rock, because mainstream rap is stupid and talent-less, but I do likeOld School Rap. I still don't understand though, why people need to put a whole genre down because they hear most of the crap on tv or the radio. Old school isn't all bad, I don't hear as much s*** talking. No onewill ever convince me that a specific genre sucks because you know what, rap and rock both have some horrible songs and "artists". Like I said in the end I vote rock just because of mainstream-c(rap) especially lil wayne.-reply by Legion

I vote rap and in response to Beatleboy62:

1) So...You like rock because it's older?

2) Monotone voice? Looping drum? Clearly you haven't listened to much rap. I'd like to see you try rapping sixteen bars without running out of breath and being able to emphasize the rhyme scheme.

3) Auto-tune isn't used for rapping. It's used for singing. No one auto-tune raps. Kanye auto-tune sung, T-Pain as well and much to everyone's dismay, as did Miley Cyrus. You probably haven't watched any live rap shows either then.

4)  Not only is that a race generalization, what does age have anything to do with the quality of the music?

5) I've never heard Eminem claiming he's black or writing like he's black.Again, a pointless...Point.

6) ...Usher discovered Bieber. And he's in R&B. Again, clearly you don't know much about the genre to talk about it.

7) I do like Lennon. And your paragraph-long essay hasn't changed my opinion either. Rock does have soul, as does rap might I add.

To sum out all your points bar 7 are ignorant, poorly informed, and extremely biased. Peace.

rock vs rapRock Vs Rap: What Do You Prefer ?

I love emo screamo and rock but I completly disagree with who ever said eminem sucks 100% because he is amazing and he raps about life and not like sex and drugs like most rappers. Emo screamo is amazing and so is eminem and my bestie rite here next 2 me thinks so 2 so go **** an egg u flipper dipper/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley11.Gif 

-reply by cholefregley

I prefer rock FTW m/Rock Vs Rap: What Do You Prefer ?

in my opinion I'm a die hard rock fan from heavy metal to grunge to everything dat has 2 do with distorted guitars, sexy licks, and awesome riffing... I hate rap but I'm talking about like '00-'10 rap... If u listen 2 public enemy, grandmaster flash, wu tang klan, NWA all those people r into rock and respect it and besides dat it was better than now... They were more natural. I read in another post that auto tune is only for singing... Ive heard some rapping with auto tune but lets say its only for singing cuz I do usually only hear it in singing. Rock NEVER uses auto tune for ANYTHING. Anything u hear in rock can be done live without any special equipment like auto tune. The drums are real unlike a lot of rap out there which is either done in computers using virtual dj or sampled... And what's funny is that most rap out there is sampled from ROCK songs. So without rock most rap wouldnt exist. IF any guitar is done in rap, which is rare, its done using a synth, and sometimes even the bass! I'm tired of seeing rap performances and all I usually see is the singer/rapper and dancers. Its like rap performances concentrate more on looks and dancing then the actual music. I went 2 see how dey play live, not a dance show where the music is being played from the album sometimes! For dat I would listen to the album at home. Rock never does dat... Its always played live naturally. SOMETIMES, singers like Ozzy Osbourne lip sync and dats because hes 60 something years old, and even he doesnt do it all the time. Most rap from now is lip synced. Also some may say rap has good lyrics... Most rap has good lyrics but even if it didnt...I'm not listening to a poet or reading a book. I'm listening 2 music. The only way to tell if a song is good is to ignore the lyrics and hum the melody or whatever. Its not what is sung/played its how it is sung/played. U cant say a singer sucks becuz he had bad lyrics. So I finish sayin I prefer rock becuz it is more about the music and less commercial

-reply by Luis

rap is ledgendRock Vs Rap: What Do You Prefer ?

Rap takes more skill because it takes more than just saying the words it is saying it with skill and expression. They also need to make the beats behind. I agree with ruroken and.W.A is amazing because of dr dre

-reply by sebiswrong

hahahaha.Rock Vs Rap: What Do You Prefer ?

Rock of course because it's the best music rap is just **** I don't know why more like rap but rock is just the best there are no better music than rock and rap is worst in my opinion

-reply by Gaidys ir man px