xisto Community
dhanesh1405241511

How To Record From .avi With More Brightness ?

I need to re-encode a movie file with brightness ... ok to be a bit specific, i want to .. Cut the FPS part of the Doom movie and re-encode it with a little brightness and contrast .. because the original video is dark. I can cut the part i want .. and play it with the required brightness and contrast in windows media .. but i want to re-encode the file with those settings that i need .. so that the next time i open that file i would see it clearly with brightness etc. Any ideas on how to do this ?RegardsDhanesh

i dont think that is a matter of re enconding. i think you will need to import the original into a video editor [any open source / download a adobe premier/ after effects trial] then adjust the video so it is how you want it then export. if you want the end result in .wmv format then you can either find a video file type converter or import the .avi in to moviemaker than export as whatever bitrate .wmv yoy want.hope that helps

I need to re-encode a movie file with brightness ... ok to be a bit specific, i want to .. Cut the FPS part of the Doom movie and re-encode it with a little brightness and contrast .. because the original video is dark. I can cut the part i want .. and play it with the required brightness and contrast in windows media .. but i want to re-encode the file with those settings that i need .. so that the next time i open that file i would see it clearly with brightness etc. Any ideas on how to do this ?

Regards

Dhanesh

1064333561[/snapback]

On VirualDub, it's a fairly simple process. First of all you need to download VirtualDub. This is a very versatile video editor that lets you compress and recompress video files. It also allows you to fiddle around with various features of the video and the audio stream that goes along with the video.

After you've downloaded the application (VirtualDub), you will need some video codecs with which to compress your video files into. I would reccomend the various codecs commonly available, amongst which would be DivX and XvID. Install these codecs onto your system. You will also require an assortment of audio codecs (for the purpose of this message, we'll stick to what's already available). An assortment of audio and video codecs are available here.

Now, to get down to what you require - brightening up the video.

Open VirtualDub.

FILE> OPEN (your video file - let it finish loading)

VIDEO> COMPRESSION> (Select DivX - assuming you've installed DixV, you can play around with the codec settings later when you're more comfortable with VirtualDub)> OK

AUDIO> FULL PROCESSING MODE

AUDIO> COMPRESSION> (Select MPEG LAYER-3, and select a suitable bitrate - say 64 kbps @ 32 khz stereo)> OK

VIDEO> FILTERS> ADD> (Select Brightness/Contrast)> OK> (Increase the brightness a few notches and the contrast as well - you'll have to experiment through saving the file a few times - so I suggest you save only the first few seconds - or try it out on a small video file the first few times)> OK > (Filters) OK

FILE> SAVE AS AVI..> (Give a file name, Select your folder)> SAVE

There you go, after a while, when the compression has completed, you should be able to go and view your file. If during compression, you do not like the output brightness as seen in the preview pane (right screen) then, cancel the render and go back to the brightness control and start over from there. All the best..!!!

maybe the virtualdub method will also work with audio - direct copy, and video -direct copy, only adding the filters ? it will then last some tens of seconds, insted of a couple of hours ?

maybe the virtualdub method will also work with audio - direct copy, and video -direct copy, only adding the filters ? it will then last some tens of seconds, insted of a couple of hours ?

1064333794[/snapback]

It sure will work, just as long as it's already compressed in a .avi format. For a small clip of say 5-10 minutes, the rendering time using XvID and converting from .mpg is about 50% time of that tof the length of the movie. So, it's really not too much of a struggle. However, one does require a moderately decent CPU and adequet ram, without too many processess running simaltanously.

A full length movie, taken as a direct stream from DVD and raw converted to .avi, would be about 4.5 GB; and would take between 12 and 16 hours to re-compress (and that with a 1.5 GHz processor with 500mb RAM at least).