xisto Community
GM-University

Phpbb Or Ipb? Which shall I pick?

Should I use PHPBB or IPB for my forums  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, I need help with this, I tried to use mods to detetmine it, but there still pretty even, IPB wins there, but newer versions of PHPBB will remain free, and mods will stop soon for IPB 1.3... What should I choose? Please reply telling me why you chose what you chose...

phpBB is open source, while IPB is privately developed. Which means phpBB can develop faster with a larger community. However, IPB is more stable becuase they hire professinals to develop the coding. Either way I use phpbb, i find it much more customizable and suits my needs more. also, some members have reported problems from using ipb while phpbb is much more reliable.

phpBB is open source, while IPB is privately developed. Which means phpBB can develop faster with a larger community. However, IPB is more stable becuase they hire professinals to develop the coding. Either way I use phpbb, i find it much more customizable and suits my needs more. also, some members have reported problems from using ipb while phpbb is much more reliable.

61896[/snapback]

I think iPB has a cute theme and very stable. I think it's bug free. PHPBB, has no cute theme, and easy to create security exploits. I suggest challenging yourself and create a forum by yourself.

I think that IPB is definetley better but I would really suggest the newest version of it (v2.0.3) with a lisence but if you dont have much of a bugjet than I could understand. :)

Personelly i would use phpbb its really good ipb is too common these days so i wouldnt use ipb because your site then will just be like every other make it uniqueyabb is okvbulletinphpbb the 3 best

I hate IPB, it's not like it's ever done anything wrond to me or anything, just I don't think it has a nice GUI, where as PHPbb I am much more familiar with, and all that jazz. I also think that Phpbb has a really nice admin panel which is user frindly, and anyway, even if you dont like PHPBB you can always uninstall it and replace it with the other, just give each a trial run and see which one works the best.

I think iPB has a cute theme and very stable. I think it's bug free. PHPBB, has no cute theme, and easy to create security exploits. I suggest challenging yourself and create a forum by yourself.

61900[/snapback]

ya and if any problem happens, you can come to me for ipb but with phbb there arent any modz(ipb came up with the idea "modz")i like the ipb skin and so do most of you and basically it is much more stable, for phbb i know that u r always happening to update it as if u dont, the sql tables go out of date and then you start complaining to us people and then we have to help...bla bla bla....so stick with ipb as ipb 1.3 is always going to remain free and the modz WILL NEVER end, i know that for a fact, if ipb ends modz then phbb wont have any ideas to nick :):) so just stick with ipb and we can help you and it doesnt need to be updated as much as phbb does. I persoanlly like ipb 2.0 because it is much stable but if your not willing to pay then just get the normal version

ya and if any problem happens, you can come to me for ipb but with phbb there arent any modz(ipb came up with the idea "modz")i like the ipb skin and so do most of you and basically it is much more stable, for phbb i know that u r always happening to update it as if u dont, the sql tables go out of date and then you start complaining to us people and then we have to help...bla bla bla....so stick with ipb as ipb 1.3 is always going to remain free and the modz WILL NEVER end, i know that for a fact, if ipb ends modz then phbb wont have any ideas to nick :)  :)  so just stick with ipb and we can help you and it doesnt need to be updated as much as phbb does. I persoanlly like ipb 2.0 because it is much stable but if your not willing to pay then just get the normal version

PHPBB Has modifications/mods, look on their site, https://www.phpbb.com/

You should use PHPBB it is much easier to use, and has plenty of mods. But IPB has some cool mods too, like the army system, kenka, and it has a report function, it's your choice though...

I should chose PHPBB if I were you, because PHPBB is an more used forum with more support and possibility's. You can change almost everything. And if you think that this forum is good, it's a PHPBB forum two! An other reason is that it's much easyer to install, because you can install the PHPBB forum on your Xisto site with Cpanel (wish i think is the best control panel:D)Anyway you should chose PHPBB if you want a great forum on your site :)

I really don't like IPB,as it is very dull to me. On the other side,I like phpBB a lot. It's very functional and it suits my needs. I can't wait for phpBB 3.o. It will be very good for sure. Considering that it's free,there is no better bulletin board around.

I really don't like IPB,as it is very dull to me. On the other side,I like phpBB a lot. It's very functional and it suits my needs. I can't wait for phpBB 3.o. It will be very good for sure. Considering that it's free,there is no better bulletin board around.

65851[/snapback]

Me too. I'm excited for PHPBB 3. That's why I haven't installed any forums on my site. I would like to use it. I tried modding things in PHPBB example, the who is online mod, i found out that each mod depends on the theme.