xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ChaosDealer73

What Is The Easiest Way Transferring Data?

Um I'm guessing you already have windows XP on both computer if so then all you need to do is connect them together through ad-hoc unless you have a wireless router if not follow these instructions (If you do have one skip below)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Start menu, click Control Panel.In Control Panel, in Category View, click Network and Internet Connections.
In the Network and Internet Connections window, click or double-click Network Connections.
In the Network Connections window, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then click View Available Wireless Networks.
In the Connect to Wireless Network dialog box, click Advanced.
In the Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog box, click the Wireless Networks tab.
On the Wireless Networks tab, click Add.
In the Wireless Network Properties dialog box, in the Network (SSID) box, type the name of the network. For a peer-to-peer network, this can be any network name not already in use, for example, Adhoc.
Select the This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network check box.
If an encryption key has been agreed to by the other members of your network
Select the Data encryption (WEP enabled) check box.
Click to clear the The key is provided for me automatically check box.
In the Network key box, type the network key.
In the Key format list, click the key format you have agreed to.
In the Key length list, click the key length you have agreed to.
In the Key index (advanced) list, click the up or down arrow button to select the key index you have agreed to.
To close the Wireless Network Properties dialog box, click OK.
Click the General tab.
On the General tab, in the This connection uses the following items list, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) . If you do not see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), drag the scroll bar to see more options.
Click Properties.
In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box, click the General tab.
On the General tab, click Use the following IP address.
In the IP Address box, type an IP Address value, and then in the the Subnet Mask box, type a Subnet Mask value for each wireless computer on your peer-to-peer network. The IP Address for computer 1 should end with a 1, and the IP Address for computer 2 should end with a 2.
To close the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box, click OK.
To close the Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog box, click OK.

from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to copy the whole entire harddrive from one computer to another then I suggest you use

Crap pressed the wrong button ok I suggest you use Noton Ghost
https://us.norton.com/
create an image of you drive and put the image on your new computer although your going to have some problems at first because your going to have to uninstall all drivers that were ment for you old acomputer and install the new ones fo your new one

Norton ghost is not going to work nicely, because it's meant to backup things for a single pc and not to redistribute data from one pc to another.Depending on the amount of data you could use DVD+/-RW's, although they only transfer 4,4 GB per time it's good if you don't have much to transfer.Portable Harddrives, works the easiest. But you have to get one, or borrow one from a friend.Linking to pc's together with a CROSSED ethernet cable. Not difficult to install, just have to follow the manual that usually comes with it or find one on the net. Or play around in network settings. Good for transferring great amounts of data, but requires a bit more effort to get it working than with a portable drive.

I dont know if I agree with you there jip my school uses it for all their computers (Not all the same model) they make one image and when ever one messes up or if they get new computers they use that image for all of them so.......yah......please explain fi you still disagree

i have 2x 256 mb san disk cruzer usb flash sticks when i gotta transfer small things, but if i gotta transfer other stuff i use dvdr's since it has more storage capacity, but the flash sticks are great for the small things and their cheap

@jamesAnyway, if you have a new computer you don't want to put back a backed up version of your old puter.Windows should automatically adjust itself to new or different hardware, that's not the case, but it leaves the question wheter you want a fresh computer have such a already used windows installation.What i'd do is transplant the drive in the new pc temporarily and just copy everything away.anyway, still no reply from the topic starter, locking this one up.