xisto Community
finaldesign1405241487

Gmail Has Launched Antivirus Service your mail is now scanned for viruses

If GMail didn't have it before, I think it's about time. Really, its not very good if a popular public e-mail server has no antivirus. Regular people don't tend to worry about viruses, so they often aren't as careful as they should be. However, if GMail had the filter before, then it wouldn't be too bad as most harmful content would need some sort of workaround, as suggested earlier, which would imply a more advanced user that would be more aware of the risk of what they are downloading.As for the new antivirus, I too am wondering how effective it is if they are not willing to let some files be transferred, even with the check. Everyone would prefer a really good check (like Norton Antivirus) as opposed to a complete block or a partial check. It makes me wonder if Google Antivirus BETA will be coming out in the future. :) I wouldn't be surprised.

@bluefish, I believe Gmail had antivirus for a lonnnng time. Considering the start of this thread (December of 2005), that was nearly a year ago! Though, I am not sure if Gmail actually scans the email itself for viruses; according to the descriptions I see near my mailbox, it seems to only scan attachments. Which is fine with me, since usually viruses do come by attachments.Gmail's spam filter is wonderfully nice. In fact, it's so wonderfully nice that nearly all spam with some unidentified-possible-virus-holding attachment in them are all filtered to spam. I really doubt a Google Antivirus Beta will come out...it just doesn't seem like something they'd focus on. I can't even pinpoint a reason why, just intuition I guess. But then again, you never know, I could be entirely wrong and Google might just surprise us all. They sure have already done that once.