xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Announcement: Gd Has Been Reinstalled

Hi folks,[tab][/tab]This is to inform you that OpaQue has recompiled PHp with GD support on this server. Everything should be fine now. All those who were trying to run GD-enabled applications and failed priorly, should re-check your installations for successful runs. If there are any further complaints, kindly report back in the Hosted Members forum and it'll be taken care of.Regards,m^e

Microscopic^Earthling, good sir, would you please describe what GD is? And what does all this mean? Recompiling PHP with GD? I'm just learning HTML nowadays and I haven't got to PHP or Java yet, nor anything other language (HTML isn't a language :))

Microscopic^Earthling, good sir, would you please describe what GD is? And what does all this mean? Recompiling PHP with GD? I'm just learning HTML nowadays and I haven't got to PHP or Java yet, nor anything other language (HTML isn't a language :))

1064330656[/snapback]

Hehe.. how you doing dude ? Come down to Ratchaburi sometime - got a nice new home right on the edge of a golf driving range .. green as far as your eyes can see and so very peaceful.. just about 5 mins out of the main ratchaburi city .. along the Phetkasem road.

Anyways, here goes.. GD is short for Graphical Development (ToolKit).. it's simply a set of functions compiled in the form of a library, which allows you to call these functions from PHP and

manipulate the various image formats (.bmp, .jpeg, .png etc) - as in load/save these files, display the images,

generate such images dynamically from text or using standard graphical routines, like drawing lines/circles etc. - an example would be the Image Verification system that lot of forums and email sites use these days to differentiate between humans and automated bots. Those images are generated dynamically from a line of text and since bots can't recognize the characters in those images, they can't type 'em out in the textfield.

And a tonne of more stuff

Normally, this library isn't included with the standard PHP distribution, to reduce bulk (and increase security to some extent too.. the more you install such libraries and plugins the less secure and stable a system becomes)...

But a lot of online gallery/forum sites need GD to be installed to operate properly as they render a bunch of dynamically generated images. Hence, in such cases you need to manually recompile the PHP source code, along with GD, so PHP can access these functions and let use you them in turn.

Although I'm not sure, but I think there are ready-to-use binary distributions of PHP alongwith GD - to avoid the manual recompilation.

If you want to check out the whole bunch of functions available in GD, go here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hope this cleared it to some extent ;)

Regards,

m^e

M^E, thanks for that piece of information about GD. Graphic development, eh? Sounds pretty interesting... and I want to learn so many things about computers and such but I just started HTML. Hahaha... I'm ashamed of myself.Anyway, I have heard of Ratchaburi but don't know where it is. Is it near Bangkok? Or is it near Fortune Town?

cyborgxxi, we all have to start somewhere so don't jump in over your head like I have man...lol. Currently I'm working on a Sun box that I want to put up with Solaris 10 on it, I've just totally trashed my website and installed Mambo and realized that I have no idea what I'm doing...lol...one step at a time and you'll learn everything you want over time....