xisto Community
warbird1405241485

DVD-RW Problem: Unformatted Disk

Recently I buyed a couple of DVD-rw to make a backup of my files since my father is planning to reïnstall the whole computer. But when I try to burn some files it says: "Unformatted disk" (I'm not sure if I translated it well from Dutch, but I'm quite sure this means the same). Does anyone know how to solve this? I knew you had to format floppy disks before using them but I didn't know that you also had to do that with DVD's.thnx in advance, -=jeroen=-

They are DVD-RW right - but usually you don't need to format them unless you're wiping out all data.

Anyway, if you have Nero, fire it up and under the Extras option in Nero SmartStart, you'll find links to Erase your DVDs and CDs... Use that to format your DVD and then try.

Posted Image

This is very funny though - never heard of it before.

I got Nero (version 5.5.6.3) but I can't find the SmartStart thingy. So I tried Alcohol 120% what I believe is ten times better, but that's my opinion. Anyway, I used the Erase option but I got this error: "(Q:) _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD(0:1): Fout bericht : [05/26/00] - Invalid Field In Parameter List". Two little notices: "Q:" is the name of my DVD writer and for those of you who don't speak Dutch: "Fout bericht" means error message.-=jeroen=-

OOoo.. that's old. Am talking about Nero 6.6.014 .. I think starting from version 6, Nero has that SmartStart thingie - a unified control panel for all the CD/DVD-Burning/Ripping jobs.

But still - it should be possible with the older Nero too (although am not SURE whether version 5.x had DVD support)...

Here's where you might find the option - check under the main-menu bar: Recorder > Erase Re-writable Disc

Posted Image

Err :) that screenie you showed me is far from similar to mine. Could someone please explain how to do it in Alcohol 120%??? I would realy appreciate that. Please tell me what's wrong with it. Everytime I get the same error: "(Q:) _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD(0:1): Fout bericht : [05/26/00] - Invalid Field In Parameter List"-=jeroen=-

Unformatted DVD+RW with Alcohol 120%

DVD-RW Problem: Unformatted Disk

"warbirdNov 26 2005, 02:31 PM

Anybody knows how to handle this with Alcohol 120% ??? Or anyone who knows how to solve the "(Q:) _NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD(0:1): Fout bericht : [05/26/00] - Invalid Field In Parameter List" error? Nobody

-=jeroen=-"

I found to use these under Alcohol you need to Select Erase Disc but make sure that you change it to Full Mode (Erase/Format Full Disc)

Then All Seems to work, Hope this Helps :-)

-reply by Nightweb