xisto Community
plot

Where Is GD?

why isnt GD installed/enabled on Xisto servers?? my gallery is down because there is no GD, could this please be fixedalso does Xisto use imagemagick or do i have to install that myself, if so, how??

Errrrr... would you believe if I said GD's gone for a much much well-deserved rest.. taking a break.. holidays.. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ :PPatience my fellow inmates for he'll be back for sure - just that sometimes he too needs a little time off ;)P.S. Will be up in a day or two. Remember, the same happened a couple of months back after the last server shift. Came back on after a few days. Same here.. the technicians have been notified - it's just a matter of time.

Patience my fellow inmates for he'll be back for sure - just that sometimes he too needs a little time off ;)

1064329887[/snapback]

Oh, well, ok, I can't wait for it to come :P I want to test my new wallpaper gallery.. so anyway, I posted this request in numerous topics here related to GD and imagemagick, anyway, Im glad that you provide us a solution. I hope it will be soon up'n'running. :P

Hehe, good one, clagnol ;)By the way what in Gd's name is Gd? I never heard from it (neither from God if it was really a spelling mistake).

GD is an open source code library for the dynamic creation of images by programmers. GD is written in C, and "wrappers" are available for Perl, PHP and other languages. GD creates PNG, JPEG and GIF images, among other formats. GD is commonly used to generate charts, graphics, thumbnails, and most anything else, on the fly. While not restricted to use on the web, the most common applications of GD involve web site development. you know those verifacation images on forums and websites? GD creates them. Resizing images, adding watermarks in your gallery automaticly, GD does that... or you could use imagemagick which does the same thing, pretty much with out GD you can have a fully proporly functioning gallery

ah alright, nice to know.. but I guess creating your thumbnails yourself and not automatically is the better way, right? it's mostly for people like designers who have a lot of pictures? is it difficult to learn?

but I guess creating your thumbnails yourself and not automatically is the better way, right? it's mostly for people like designers who have a lot of pictures? is it difficult to learn?

1064330193[/snapback]

well, it's not really a good idea if you have site like http://www.deviantart.com/ and your users upload huge amount of pictures per day. You will have to manualy resize and manipulate several 1000 of pics. Now, who would do that...? one man? two? 10 people? no. GD does that, or ImageMagick. ;) It's all about software. :)

ya places like devientart have GD or imagemagick installed to make the thumbnails, like final said it would be very time consuming to download a pic, resize it, then reupload itand other places like nexopia add watermarks to pictures which also require GD or ImageMagick to do automatically