xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nightfox1405241487

Apache, Vsftpd Problems - Resolution Error FTP as well

(if this topic is in the wrong spot, I apologize. please just move it as I wasn't sure *exactly* where this belonged... linux or here but because the name is Internet & Network client/servers, I figured it fit here more than Linux)

I noticed this after I re-installed Apache (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, has both Apache2 and Apache 1.3.X but the test page for the server says:

Webserver version:[ Apache/1.3.29 (Linux/SUSE) PHP/4.3.4 mod_python/2.7.10 Python/2.3.3 mod_perl/1.29 ]

) but everytime I go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, the browser starts looking for "linux.site" but if I go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists//, it loads the index page in my public_html folder...

anyone know why and how to fix this? if it is because I have BINDS installed, if I remove it should that fix it?

sorry about all the questions, but I'm new to Linux and I'm trying to setup a test server without resorting to Windows which is the easy way out!

Also, to combine topics, vsftp refuses to start. Everytime in the counsole I type: (minus quotes of course) "vsftpd start" I get the following in return:
"500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot open config file:start"

any ideas?

thanks if you can help on either topic!

[N]F
Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

1) Check very closely to verify you have the correct ftp addy, look for periods and slashes you may have missed.2) Check with the Admin and make sure they gave you the correct ftp addy.3) Check for compatibility issues between your ftp program and the Server program the server is using. If the server reccomends a certain one use that program. If not use ws_ftp Pro or ws_ftp lite, both work great.4) If these fail, get a new account name. It occasionaly occurs that a server(s) may have a problem with an account name, don't ask me why cause I don't know, sometimes they just do. Just get a new name...5) If these don't work.... there's nothing I can do for ya =) lol