xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sarah81

E-mail Time Capsules Message yourself 20 years from now

Interesting idea, but I find it hard to imagine that they will spend millions of pounds on this project for nothing. Who knows what critical information they might store for 20 years, and as far as I am aware, the data protection act only lasts 10 or so, therefore any copyrighted documents within the emails that they will retain will be propiertory to them.

1064328934[/snapback]

Of course Forbes and the other two companies have access to anything that we put into the e-mail time capsules. But then again, e-mail services have access to any e-mails that we send. I don't write e-mails that I wouldn't want others besides myself and the recipient to read. Even if I *am* writing something that I'm partially convinced I'll receive in my in-box 20 years from now.

As for the point behind this thing: I just thought that the e-mail time capsule was an interesting example of how technology and our old traditions blend as we become more advanced. My university still has a time capsule from 1995, and one from 2004 (when they opened a brand-new dormitory building), among others. Regular old time capsules, I mean, with photos, letters, school tee shirts and other things like that in them. Why not an electronic time capsule? With data storage and retrieval systems getting more advanced and reliable as we improve the technology, there's no reason to think that our photos, e-mails, etc. won't be available 20 years from now.

Besides, this method beats digging around in the dirt, trying to remember where you buried the tin coffee can when you were a teenager. *grins*