xisto Community
dhanesh1405241511

Norton AV 2005 Better Than 2006 ?

I recently upgraded my Norton from 2005 to 2006, didnt have much of a trouble there, but after the first reboot, my PC went hell slow. I know there had been problems of NAV acting a little weird at startup and slowing down startup time, but 2005 used to start up faster and better than the previous version.2006 takes atleast a minute or so to start up now. I am not the tweaking guy so i settle with the defaults of NAV and it works fine for me. But is there a new option in 2006 that needs to be enabled/disabled. Is anyone else going through a slow startup with 2006 ?RegardsDhanesh.

hi, imho, norton antivirus eats much more RAM than any others windoz apps, u face a slow start up because, the antivirus auto start after ur system boots into windows.

well, i recommend u try this free AVG antivirus software. (really neat and nice and free!!)
http://www.avg.com/de-de/free-antivirus-download

u might need to modify/disable its auto daily scan feature (default setting, if i am not wrong) coz, it just not necessary to scan ur pc daily at 8.am (lol) just my opinion. (chooke ur pc cpu usage when it starts scanning!!)

btw, instead of uninstall ur installed norton antivirus, i suggest u to reformat and reinstall ur (windows) coz the norton doesn't seem to cleans nicely

Yeap i am going to format the PC today. But you mentioned about AVG , well i tried it out a while ago. but its just my opinion, i didnt like it that much. To compare the antivirus giant is insane so i wont go into that. But just to look into one side of it. When there are latest viruses, according to me, NAV takes the lead in updating its virus definitions in less than an hour. Correct me , but i personally feel that NAV takes the lead in antivirus solutions.Second comes Mcafee ? But well if your talking about free AV solutions and the best ones out of em all , then i must agree AVG takes a head start.RegardsDhanesh.

One more vote against Norton , I have heard good things about Nod32 recently . Since I dont use Windows alot these days I have not tried it my self. There is another Antivirus Client called Panda Antivirus (some thing like that). It is also recomended by Microsoft (ie in their SP2 Antivirus-Not-Present warning).

All AV programs tend to slow down the whole system.Whatever you are runnin with. Workin under any OS will become painfully slow.Time is money and you pay not only for software license but for your increased worktime as well. We're not taking into account computing resources. They are expensive too. As traffic is. There should be loading of only most recent and dangerous viruses in vurus bases. Anyway, well written virus - that has a polymorphic base within - can be caught only with some probability. Therefore, all the AV-afforts may be made invane. If some hacker - who is clever enough - will attempt to gain control above your machine, he will never use some known code. He will write another one. Breaking is not building. All of them have strong asm skill. Even last crackers. So their 100k program will load in you sys as a flash. And there likely will be more simple way to write almighty malicious program - to modify existin Vx program. Even most popular virus will become invisible. They will check it for signature.All executable filez passed to system core are checked before creating any process, even when loading simple dll. This slows down your sys drastically. But despite your newest progz that wise kid will become the god for your machine. And all soft you install can be easily deleted from process list by simple API call.My opinion: av progs are for uzers. A good chain of proxies with an anonymous one. Security strength of firewall. And av just for scannin incoming files. Or suspicous ones. And script checking in web may be helpfull too. And you are in safety. Anyway, when i'm doing some critical tasks i use another soft under clean system. It's installed on the drive, which is turned off in BIOS during most time. Therefore, it can't be infected.PS." Exploit the point Into tracks to devour My intellects proceed My diesel power Blows your mind drastically, fantastically " The Prodigy "Diesel Power"

Hatim I belive NOD32 is great but thats my opinion generally I always saw Norton to be a huge system resource hogger but that also my opinion AVG and Panda both come highly recommended from series of techies if you still are having trouble deciding install paltalk and to the PCHELP they will help you find which AV is best to suit your needs although I would say that you wold have waisted a big sum of money on buying 2006

ya, i think that 2005 is better than 2006. i have 2005 and my computer is very fast and it's never been infected with a virus. and james, you dont have to buy norton anti-virus 2006, you can just download it for free but it's illegal offcourse.

yeah. the biggest problem on 2006 is the scan at boot. it takes about 10 seconds or something on an alright laptop for it to finish. just to check that the definitions are up to date and that the program has loaded!

Norton is probably one of the worst antivirus for any notebook or slow desktop with low ram. It eats up so much ram, it doesn't matter if the version is 05 or 06, never use norton. Instead used a av like nod32, its smaller and doesn't use as much memory. It also detects more viruses then norton, at least the company says so. Anyway, I don't think norton 05 is better than 06, they're about the same. Its just the norton 06 eats up more ram.

ok I used to swear by norton but after having to do some serious "tweaking" to my system over the last few releases (2004-2006), I started to look for other antivirus programs out that I could use. I've used AVG, Panda, and a few others and have come back to one that I used years ago and thought was "crappy" but now find to be a very good one, Trend Micro Antivirus a.k.a PC-Cillen.It is an excellent Antivirus program that doesn't use alot of overhead, starts up fast, and scans your computer faster then almost any other I've tested. I'm hoping that as time goes on Trend Micro keeps the system resource overhead low and the program as good as it is now.

To all of us who at one time or another have wished that it were as easy to get rid of NAV as it were to install it - I recommend you use the Symantec Nortona Antivirus Removal Tool SYMNRT.

Norton Removal Instructions

This tool removes ALL SYMANTEC PRODUCTS for the years 2004/2005/2006. No selective scanning here.

Use this only when your last resort (for some people) is to reformat your windows installation just to be able to run the Norton Products !

It removes all files and registry entries too. I highly recommend that you follow the instructions on the linked page exactly as mentioned.

It goes without saying that you must keep a backup copy of your registry and critical data files to an off-site location as insurance in case something decides to follow the path of Murphy's Law. :wink:

I used to have norton internet security 2005 and i totally agree it slows down your pc, it took at least 2 minutes just to display the norton interface. My pc is only a 1ghz celeron and with 350mb ram. I use nod32 and it is great, very speedy startup, very low memory usage and quick and accurate scanning. I also use zonealarm security suite with the antivirus turned off, that takes the most time to start up out of all the other programs i've got to set at startup

i like norton antivirus 2005 over 2006 for a few reasons.. there was an exploit in 2005 where u could use it til 2026.... it didn't stuff up people sending you mp3s... and wasn't as annoying in general... really these days it's not a program i'd recommend even if it was free! Ewido a free program i find is tons better and actually finds the programs.