xisto Community
etan

Gaming Debate #2 Do we need to show realism?

We'll you guys are great debators and now I ask you this:

Should any Gerne of game show realism when the character injures themselfes?

My opinion is split once again. When you play Tony Hawk you have the choice to use a helmate or to not to. In real life we are given the same choice. But, the differance is what happens when you crash with out that helmate. When you hit the ground in Tony Hawk you get up and keep skating, even withouth that helmate. In reality you crash to the ground without that helmate and you end up in the hospital. Sometimes these games sends out messages that you don't need the protective items you should were. On a racing game it became mandatory that the characters where helmates finally so lets breach the idea to skating games to encourage kids.

On the other side though when playing a shooting game you really can't show the pain and agony one receives when getting shot. So its hard to say show realism there because no one should have to know what it feels like.

So I wanna hear what you think.

Talking about Tony Hawk's games in particular here ...Any kid who's stupid enough to think that what happens to his character (i.e. nothing, even if said character goes without a helmet) applies to the world beyond the TV set, will probably hurt himself somehow even if T. Hawk's games suddenly require helmets on all the characters. Tony Hawk doesn't even skate anymore unless it's in competitions. He's semi-retired, I guess you could say. And when he gets anywhere near the ramps or courses, he's required to wear his helmet. So, when kids see the REAL Tony Hawk, or any of his pals, they're wearing helmets.That, I think - the real people doing something - has got to have more influence on followers than a bunch of digital images on a TV screen.

Well, the factor of pain can't be shown on the likes of GTA, where you are hopping around with a bazooka, blowing peoples heads off.I personally believe that video games only have a slight effect on people. The ones that start reinacting the things they have seen are psycho's anyway.I always thought the Tony Hawk's would be a 21 year old stud with a skateboard. That was a world champion. Was I wrong. As soon as I saw him, I almost fell off my seat with laughter. He's like an old grandad. He's good, but not as young as one would think.

Ehm guys, the physics in the tony hawk games are more equal to those on the moon than on this planet. There is absolutely no realism, you can jump incredibly high and you there seems to be almost nog friction (freakishly long grinds and you glide on the ground).If you have all of the above, then I suppose there's no need to do extra gore graphics for falling and stuff. Also, most kids who play this KNOW it's not 'real' because they see those weird physics. Also, characters in the game fall way to easily, and also, if they fall they use their hands/arms to prevent big damage. And even if you got severe damage, you can't except a gamer just to wait for 3 months to have his virtual broken leg healed.Realism is good for games, but the way it is now is good enough.

I think we need to get back to the essention of gaming. Why do you play games? Sometimes because you learn of them and some people who are realy good in a game for the money. But most people just play for fun. If a game is so realistic that you die at one bullet or at one crash with skateboarding there's no fun is it?

Second point: I never saw a soldier with a display on it's helmet that says: "You got 84% health and 35% armor". And I won't think that will ever happen. Counterwise there aren't much games that don't have health bars and things, because if you don't know how much health you got you will probably won't notice you health is low so you need to get a health package or some kind of thing. That an other point: in very, very much games you will just find ammo or health on the ground. In real battles you won't find any and if you do find one it won't always help. I think games just don't have to be realistic, they just have to be FUN

-=jeroen=-

IF game followed realism, you'd be dead very easily. These games are such a way so u cant lose in 5 seconds, 1 bulllet placed kills u, in games ur not even injured, just keep moving,So its regarding you dont die in seconds, and in minutes

What about games like CS or battlefield where one well placed bullet will kill u? While i admit that realism is not feasible in some games (i.e. most sports games), i think that in most games it is a possibility and as games get more advanced they will get more realistic. An example may be that in a FPS, if you get hit in the leg you can't walk properly until you get killed and must enter the game as a different character, or in hand to hand combat games, instead of having your life get lower (which dosent really work) your energy could get lower (walking and running should also have a minor affect on this) until the character blocks to slow because he is tired and gets stabbed (if the stab wound is not bad he can continue but will be very limited). I believe that in the future we will be playing games like Age of Empires where every little guy you hire has a detailed personality and has needs (something like the sims only probly more detailed).