xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kid Saiyan

Mp3 Player Problem: Sound In One Ear Only after dropping down on ground

Okay...Hi everyone...Umm...my MP3 Player has recently had/developed a new problem.The thing is, im a very,very, VERY clumsy person. I always drop things including my MP3 Player and my phone. Before the last time i dropped the MP3 Player, it was working fine. But ever since the accident, it has stopped giving me sound from one ear of my headphones. I am sure that my Headphones are alright as they work fine on other systems like my PC and my Walkman and CD Player. But..i need to know how to fix this problem. Often, the sound comes out of the other ear if i twist and turn the wires a little. But thats just a temporary fix. I need help...Any suggestions? :):)

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Sounds like you broke a solder joint loose.You will have to take the player apart and check the joints on the headphone jack to make sure they are not broken. Most likelywhat happened in when you dropped it, it landed on the jack, and simply broke a connection. Break out the soldering iron and touch it up.It will be good as new.ViriiGuy

@ViriiguyIt has nothing to do with the bloody headphones, he just stated that in the startpost.I think the contacts inside the hole for the output are goofed up or kinda got loose or something, try bending the contacts outside for a bit to have them make good contact again.

Pay attention to what I said. I said the Headphone JACK.That is in the MP3 player. I said and I quote...."You will have to take the player apart and check the joints on the headphone jack to make sure they are not broken":)

If the problem is in the headphones, (for example when you touch the nylone layer that is placed behind the plastic layer, it cant give you the voice because ther wont be any air between vibrating layers) you must change your headphones.If the problem is in the mp3 player, you must send it to service because the output or some joints in them might be broken.

you never HAVE to send something to service, you can always try fixing it yourself :D plus sometimes it'd be past the waranty coverage dates... but anyways, I would agree that its the headphone jack connection. I had a similar problem, wasn't hard to 'modify' it a bit so it would work again

it's obviously faulty... bad to see... how old is it... does it still have a warranty... if it has a warranty definately take it back but yeh it would only be a solder problem basically... but it's very bizarre for it to happen that quickly.. like my pc engine now only plays a very very slight sound (it's a hand held) but that's like 16 years old that console so i don't really blame it... btw i love the pc engine it's rad.. anyways yeh take it back to were u brought it from cause if you try to fix it yourself you may just end up stuffing it up more and you will void any warranty then.

same thing

Mp3 Player Problem: Sound In One Ear Only

I recently purchased a sansa c150 and after a few minutes of use, sound started coming out of only one earbud. When the headphones are plugged in half-way I can hear out of both ears, I took it apart and am in the process of fixing it.

I am having the same problem! I have both an ipod and a zune and recently they both started doing that. I even bought 2 new pairs of headphones, sound still only comes out of the left ear unless I press on it.

I tried tweaking it, gently. It still only comes out one ear. It's super annoying.

-reply by Becca

Like was said above, if your mp3 player won't play sound properly AND trying with a different pair of headphones doesn't solve the problem then you will need to crack it open and check the joints, however if it is brand new and still under warranty (or within the stores returned items limit) then don't crack it open and try to get it replaced with one that works.If you bought it off a site like ebay, demand your money back.

Not too sure if this will completely fix your problem. I had the same problem before. I always change headphones, and it seems the jack socket got loose. What I did was, removed the earphone jack for a day. The socket just naturally got back to its natural shape. But, more often, if you banged the jack socket bad, and it got out of shape, it may not naturally get to its former shape. That's where electronics people get in, they can actually reshape the damaged part.

-reply by Jay Teknocrat

Not too sure if this will completely fix your problem. I had the same problem before. I always change headphones, and it seems the jack socket got loose. What I did was, removed the earphone jack for a day. The socket just naturally got back to its natural shape. But, more often, if you banged the jack socket bad, and it got out of shape, it may not naturally get to its former shape. That's where electronics people get in, they can actually reshape the damaged part.

-reply by Jay Teknocrat

Mp3 Player Problem: Sound In One Ear OnlyMp3 Player Problem: Sound In One Ear OnlyJust like cassette heads, camcorder recorder and play heads, and vhs heads require cleaning after hours of use, so do the speaker jacks because electric static builds up on them.

1. You can cut the fat parts of the cotton on each end of a q tip and wet it with rubbing alcohol. Then dip it inside the earphone jack and clean the sides up and down slowly. Be careful that no cotton stays inside the speaker jack otherwise you will have a new problem to deal with. 2. In addition, with a small piece of sand paper, gently (and I mean gently) rub around the pin (of the headphones) that you insert inside the speaker jack. Then, clean it with rubbing alcohol and let it dry about a minute to make sure the mp3 speaker jack and earphone pin jack are both dry. Once you insert it, your sound should return to normal with both sides sounding nicely.I had the same problem with my mp3. I tried about 4 different headphones and I could only hear one side or press very hard to hear both sides. After doing 1 and 2 above, kaboom, the head phones work nicely and I am now enjoying my music.Hope it works for all you.  This also works for any audio gadget that uses speaker phones.

.Magda73

Same issueMp3 Player Problem: Sound In One Ear Only

So, I know the headphones work because I tried them out and they are brand new, and very expensive, and you all keep talking about soldering the joints or whatever. How and by what process??? You say what but not how.

-question by vparad