xisto Community
pat23

Need Tips On Booting Faster (windows)? Need help booting up faster.

Are you referring to Bootvis.exe?

1064326602[/snapback]

That's the one :)

1064326761[/snapback]

I can attest to bootvis' excellent help. When you first start it, you have to set it to "track" and do a reboot for it to get a look at what your computer does while it is booting.

When that is done, it starts when windows starts and you can select "Optimize" and it'll change some settings (which I'm not sure) that will do good things for your boot time.

It's actually no longer available from Microsoft's website, but you can download it at MajorGeeks.com. Here's a direct link to their download page.

Also, Make sure you are running Ad-Aware and SpyBot Search and Destroy. Together these make the best way to combat the spyware that is most likely loading when Windows starts and eat up valuable resources while you're trying to do other things on your computer.

I would go thru your add/remove programs, remove things you do not
recognize such as, Internet Optimizer, CometCursor, etc etc etc.
Pay extra close attention to sub 2 meg programs that are installed.

Then go to http://www.srnmicro.com/ and download the trial version
of solo antivirus. NOTE: imho Solo is a crappy AV, but it is GREAT for
breaking loaders, trojans, spammers and spyware. Then after a scan
or two with Solo, go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and run a full
scan.

Alot of times spyware and virii will break your AV, so that it cannot see
them.

ViriiGuy

That's the one :)

1064326761[/snapback]

I can attest to bootvis' excellent help. When you first start it, you have to set it to "track" and do a reboot for it to get a look at what your computer does while it is booting.

When that is done, it starts when windows starts and you can select "Optimize" and it'll change some settings (which I'm not sure) that will do good things for your boot time.

It's actually no longer available from Microsoft's website, but you can download it at MajorGeeks.com. Here's a direct link to their download page.

Also, Make sure you are running Ad-Aware and SpyBot Search and Destroy. Together these make the best way to combat the spyware that is most likely loading when Windows starts and eat up valuable resources while you're trying to do other things on your computer.

1064326789[/snapback]

Be careful when using bootvis, M$ did not stop it's support for no reason. It even once screwed a fresh windows xp installation :) . Lucky it only took 15min to reinstall it (I just loooove those unatendet installs :) )

Yeah i removed alot of crp programs i no longer need, and a few virus scans, a disk defrag, and i used bootvis and all that got it back down to about 2 mins to start up. Thanks guys/girls

Hey WutskeAfter I fiddled around with Registry Mechanic and "optimized my system", the Prefetch is 5 already!! No wonder - I could clearly see the difference between the past Windows XP boot-up session (the bar, too!).But here's some advice if you want to get rid of that 3~4 minute boot up time:1. Defrag your hard drive2. Run a virus scan, Ad-Aware, and some popular softwares3. Get some more RAM - I am serious in this one. I am not very satisfied with 512 MB either (I used to run it with 128 MB - it was hell) Now I have 1 gigabyte4. Reformat your hard drive :) Instant clean-upWell, dont forget to make back up for important data and stuff :) I'm looking forward to a reformat of my own as well :)

if your system is so slow (five minutes is so much) i think that you need to buy a new cpu but if you don´t have the properly money for that plesase shop a ram or delete some start boot time programs like qtime and morei´m mexican, i have bad english