xisto Community
Jguy101

Need A Linux Distro...

LOL....

i went to smartlinks home-page.
i clicked driver downloads.
i clicked "linux users click here"
i accepted the licence agreement.

and there it was, the linux driver for smartlink modems.

the first place to look for drivers is always the Home-Page of the product.

Driver:
http://www.smlink.com/emall/shopHome.asp?sc=error

Install Instuctions:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

ENJOY !

Well, please keep in mind that Linux is NOT a Windows replacement, it's an alternative. If you just want to use it because that it's almost virus proof, then you DON'T WANT Linux. Linux is for people who want to learn how to use the operating system, learn how things work, and best of all, know how to actually use a computer.

Lets answer the questions that he asked first :mellow:
YES the SmartLink PCI modem will work fine under linux.

The poor guy asked for a driver, and has had partitoning advice, distro advice, promises of modems working without even knowing the modems brand, and questions about why he's leaving windows.

anyone would think he tried to escape a cult. LOL.

I realise that there are hundreds of different flavours of linux, and deciding which one can be a nightmare. I personally hate Ubuntu which alot of people will love, personall i would go for Fedora. If you wanna read about most of the distros available goto Distrowatch as it will tell you about most available. This site is one of the ultimate resources on disrtos.

The main ones to try as a newbie are

Meppis (don't have to install - run as a live CD and install if you want from the same CD)
Ubuntu (These will send you the CD's free of charge just wait for about a month)
Fedora - 4CD download which takes a while but has a lot of stuff including drivers included
Suse (not totally free - i think it is just the live cd which is free)
Madriva (mandrake as it used to be know) again 4 cd download but alot of drivers

I would advise newbies to steer clear of most others until they know what there doing and then experiment until you find the system you love

Linux will let you customise EVERYTHING unlike windows which let you do nothing. Be prepaired for some larning with Linux and to reinstall it a few times when you *BLEEP* up

Yeah, I'm gonna steer clear of Ubuntu, at least for a while, because that installer just sucks.

MEPIS, however, has a really nice and easy-to-use installer, or at least that's what I've seen from screenshots. Plus, someone going to give me a CD sometime soon, so I think I'll go with it instead of rodering or downloading another distro. :mellow:

Okay Jguy, listen. ANY OS INSTALLER WILL WIPE YOUR DRIVES!!! Yes, even Windows. This is NOT a problem with Ubuntu! If you think this is a problem, then it's always going to happen. You should know how to back up the data you need. Oh man...just go back to Windows, really, before you hurt yourself.

(Sorry about double post, once again, an EDIT button would be great here!)MEPIS will most likely do the same thing too. It WILL wipe your drives to put on a Linux filesystem, if installing it is what you want to do. If it didn't, your installation would go nowhere, and before Ubuntu formatted your drives, it said so in plain english on the screen, right before you told it "YES". Never underestimate the power of READING!

(Sorry about double post, once again, an EDIT button would be great here!)

MEPIS will most likely do the same thing too. It WILL wipe your drives to put on a Linux filesystem, if installing it is what you want to do. If it didn't, your installation would go nowhere, and before Ubuntu formatted your drives, it said so in plain english on the screen, right before you told it "YES". Never underestimate the power of READING!

1064326044[/snapback]

Actually most distros come with partitioning programs that are capable of resizing NTFS partitions (using a program that employs NTFSresize).

He was complaining about the default installation settings (per his clarification). Though there might be some fault in his direction for not checking the settings before he installed.

I think this thread shows exactly why there are so many people who get off of linux fast: The main mode of support, the community, is populated by a bunch of elitists who jump on someone for saying anything that might be an issue, or might not be. Especially if it is a distro the self-important elitists use themselves.

Even when the user is at fault, and not the distro, there is no reason that this can't be explained in a polite and more hlepful way.

My personal Favorite for ease of use is redhat. It seems to support the most hardware from what I've found. But you can check thier website if you want to make sure that your modem (and other hardware) is supported.-YungBlood

actually, SuSE 10.0 doesn't wipe out your hard drive, it automatically shrinks the Windows partition and create a ReiserFS partition (I usually change it to XFS because I load and write a lot of things when I use my computer.)xboxrulz