xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
irwan6179

Graphic Card Recommendation

I suggested the 6600 GT the 'GT' makes a lot of difference. The GT is cheaper than the 6800 and is in some ways better. In others, obviously not.The 6600gt has a core speed of 500mhz and a memory speed of 1000 whilst the 6800 has a core of 325 and a memory of 700. The memory speed is much more significant as this is what determines noticable 'true' fps increase.The pixel pipelines of the 6600gt is 8 whereas the 6800 is 12. The 256bit architeture of the 6800 which the 6600gt doesn't have is argued a lot to whether or not its an advantage. Depends if the extra money is what you want to save up. Likewise with the 6800GT. Again performance improves.Other aspects I havn't mentioned include the pixel fill rate and memory bandwith. These are very important. When buying a card, consider that 256mb doesn't always mean better. Usually the core and clock speeds are lowered as opposed to a 128mb card as someone has previously mentioned.If your playing things like half life 2, then these cards will EASILY handle pixel shading etc.If your one for overclocking, then definately save the money and get a 6600gt rather than the 6800 if its significantly cheaper. The 6600gt overclocks very very well and with some games, will out perform the 6800. Depends how much antialising you use.If your familiar with 3dmark software with the 03 version, the 6600gt will score about 8000 at 1024x768 screen resolution. The 6800 about 9500.Again like I said its up to you if saving up is something your willing to do.All these somewhat noticably higher spec of one card may seem a lot, but its actually whats noticable. Games can only have a certain amount of realism and its only when you've got the best quality that benchmarking obsessives pay £200 more for a graphics card that has no noticeable gameplay difference.As games become more advanced then graphics card will be showing more potential. Take for example NVIDIA take on the SLI technology. This will be effective only if you have a bigger screen in my opinion. 2 graphics cards, but if you look at ps3 graphics, they're just like pc graphics.Soon enough pc gaming will be phased out and dedicated consoles will take over gaming completely. How about talk about to your mate, the latest graphics card you got for your playstation four!!One last thing. Doom 3, the supposed benchmark game of them all. The radeon x800, costing a bomb. The 6600gt has pretty much the same performance as the x800 when playing the game.Hope this has been an insite to grahics cards as a whole. The longest thread I've ever done.O ye, and make sure your card is a pciexpress!