xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SunBlind

I Desperately Need Help! Java Issue

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but this issue is seriously upsetting, and I'm actually on the verge of tears just typing it...I was playing Jigsaw Detective on pogo.com and it kept freezing and half the time the puzzle pieces never showed up... so I checked the help section and saw a suggestion to update my Java version. So I uninstalled my previous installation (version 2, I believe it was) downloaded the manual installation of version 5, set it up, restarted my computer, signed back online, opened my game, and got a "Java Not Found" error. I made sure Java was enabled, restarted again, and still nothing. I tried opening up the Java control panel in the windows control panel, but nothing happened. I noticed a process named javaw in my task manager, but no application opened. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin, but still no luck. After 3 unsuccessful installations, I tried doing a system restore to before I uninstalled my initial Java version (2) and tried reloading my game. The window opened and said "starting game", but then the entire browser crashed completely. I cleared my cache, tried signing on again, but the same thing keeps happening. I've done 3 system restores, but nothing's worked. I don't know what I did, but it must have been bad. Please help!

Try one thing first.

Click Here To download Ver. 1.4.2 and try the site again, and it should work...

Are you framiliar with creating a System Restore Point? If you are, then I would go ahead and do that before you install, and then install and it should work, if not you will have the restore point.

A small note, It looks to me like Update five is a stable Beta release. It should work if you download this version and run it...

if you are not framiliar about setting up a restore point, then just let me know and I will make a tutorial on how to do it so that you will be able to do it....

-William

As I mentioned earlier, I've already installed java 3 times (the update 5), but it's still not working. I'm very familiar with system restores and have already performed 3 or 4 of them trying to resolve this matter, even restoring my computer as far back as a month, but it hasn't helped at all. Not only are applets not being executed in my browser, but the entire browser is crashing.

One second mate, you're rushing things. Firstly what browser are you using? Different browsers have different capabilities. Secondly, have you done a anti-spyware scan just in case a trojan or worm is blocking or corrupting your Java program? System Restore doesn't solve al problems because firstly: Many worms and viruses just turns back the clock and comes back to its beginning state. OR If it's not caused by unwanted junk then it must be a browser/computer problem. When was the last time it worked perfectly? Did you do anything between those times? Although I'm not a reall expert about these problems, i do know usually what you have to do because i had a similar situation before where i can't open iexplore or FireFox at all and only MSN explorer worked ( B) ) Fortunately for me, FireFox and iexplore just suddenly start working again after i did a gazillion system restores and anti-virus checks and all kinds of stuff like that.

Lol Sorry, I actually thought about coming back and posting up all my version infos and stuff like that but I've been so frustrated with the whole situation I decided to take my mind off it for a while before I grabbed the sledgehammer.I've been using Compuserve2000 (yeah, I know...) but I also had the same problem in IE, Firefox, and nothing happened in Opera. The applets didn't load, but it didn't crash either. Yes, I've run numerous spyware and antivirus programs, I do twice a week., and so far I'm up to 5 sys restores. Everything was working fine the day before yesterday (though I've always had problems with one particular game) and after the suggestion to update my JRE to possibly fix that game I uninstalled the current version I had and downloaded the latest one from java.com, and since then my computer has been slowly spinning down the toilet. Before that, the games loaded fine (slowly, thanks to my 56k modem...but at least they loaded at all) and my browser never crashed. Right now I'm trying to uninstall everything Java on my computer and start from scratch... But I got booted offline and the installation I was in the middle of failed and now it won't complete. It's showing up in my Add/Remove Programs list but when I try to remove it it says I have an installation in progress and to complete it before attempting an uninstallation. I don't know what else to do, I'm so lost...

Rae, try installing the Java program again and see if it completes this time. If it does, uninstall it again and use the older 1.4.2 version of Java instead. 1.5 is still not very good at this stage of the game yet. It's probably better to get a stable working version that works for most games than getting an updated version that screws everything up.Try deleting the applets that are downloaded for those games you are having problems with. See if that will fix the problem with the games. Go to C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\ and look for the name of those games in there. Delete them if found...don't worry about it, they will reinstall themselves from the web when needed.