xisto Community
xboxrulz

Edit Button

I think we should put back the EDIT your own post button so we can fix mistakes and the delete your own post button just incase we double posted. This would help the admins and moderators alot.xboxrulz

I agree that the delete button should be put back, but the edit button is possible to be abused. However, deleting your own posts means that you lose MORE hosting credits that you recieved.

I've been meaning to suggest this for a long time, but you beat me to it!I agree, the edit button should be put back because sometimes, even after checking your own post, there is somehow a spelling error, grammatical error, or any other errors that are unfixed.Or when you read your own post after posting, you realized that you didn't make a good point or explain your problem clearly, but you can't go back and edit because the edit button is not there.

I concur. I accidentaly double posted and I was looking for my delete button everywhere."Where is it? WHERE?!":)

I'm not Dooga, but I think I can answer that for you:I think someone on one of the forums (Possibly NilsC or OpaQue, maybe someone else) said that some people abused the edit button byediting posts so they could increase their hosting credits. That's why it was removed.

The edit button gets abused like this:1. A member makes a HUGE post consisting a a huge chunk of text that copied from a site.2. The credit system gives him 10 credits for this huge post.3. problem is, this post is completely irrelevant to the topic.4. but with the edit button, the member can then remove the post after he's got his credits.If everyone did this, then Xisto would be dommed.so this is really for the security of trap17and it's members. The moderators and admins know that mistakes fo happen, so we usually don't penalize you for double posting unless it's something that happens all the time.

Hmm..I was close. I can understand why it was removed. It can be annoying, though. I hate it when a few people abuse a priviledge, then it gets taken away. That's life, though. I usually try to check what I type before I send it, but sometimes, but we all miss our mistakes, and send something that doesn't sound right...

we all would have wanted to give every member the fullest control on the forum, but because a select few have abused this privilldge, the edit button has to be taken down

Ok IC. I've been wondering why there's no edit button and didn't have ask for it so far. My posts have many spelling error which I really wanted to edit them. I could never imagine that edit button could be abused. If that's the case I agree with you pulling down the button. Thanks for the info.

Hmm on some forums there is a time limit as to how long you can edit your post. IE you can edit your post for up to one hour after you posted. So if you posted your message without reading it over and did not catch your mispellings the first time then you can fix those mistakes for up to one hour. I don't know if this message board has that capablity though.A way to prevent this issue is to preview your post before submitting. Basically you click the Preview Post button instead of the add reply button. When you preview the post you will discover any grammatical errors as well as any other problems you might see when rereading your post. Its an idea anyway, :) Beth

I will tell you why the Edit button was removed.In a time not so long ago in the same place, there were these mischievous people who found a loophole in the credits system. First they'd find a time when no moderators and admins are around. Then, very sneakily, they'd find a random topic and reply to it. Instead of properly replying (staying on topic) they'd post something completely useless consisting of a bunch of random numbers and letters. A second later, they'd go back and edit their post - this time properly (staying on topic). This method could be used to gain a HUGE amount of credits that would enable them to NOT come to the forum anymore. In other words, they can go on with their lives and forget about Xisto. Now, if everyone did this, then Xisto would cease to exist because trap DEPENDS on members. If everyone left Xisto, then the ad-clicking would stop, and Xisto would not gain anymore revenue. You can thank those fews (I do not know their names) for ruining this for everyone.Double posting, althought not a serious issue, can be prevented. If you find that you made a mistake in your post, simply report your own post to an admin or moderator and explain your position. We will be glad to fix everything for you without giving you a warning. :)

The abuse of the edit button is not because an edit button is something easy to abuse but when the credit system was formed all the loopholes weren?t thought out. The solution is simple. Before the person presses the edit button keep track of how many credits the original post was worth. After they make the changes compute the credits again and find the difference. If the post size shrinks enough decrease the number of credits. If the post size increases increase there number of credits. If someone continues to abuse there privileges at the form simply kink them off the form. Please bring back the edit button.

I most certainly agree with having the Edit button reinstated. And s243a's suggestion is certainly workable - simply recalculate the point value for the post upon editing, and adjust the users points accordingly.Opaque, if you want help with this, get in touch with me. I haven't spoken to you in a while.