xisto Community
derouge

Help! Fried Windows .. Physical dump/shadowing/caching

Because a; directories are readable in XP Pro and Home by anyone, as long as you are simply copying files, and they are not currently used system files, the copy will work, no matter where the data comes from. If you successfully boot from home (in which case the Pro HD is secondary) The Pro HD will simply be assigned a new drive letter and will be accessible via that drive letter. Then you can browse and copy files from it, even though it is Pro and you are in Home since they both use NTFS (I've done something similar and am 99.9% sure it will work). The only possible shortfall I see is if the reason the HD is not booting in the first place is because of a corrupt partition table or File System, in which case windows (any version) will not be able to browse the system, and most likely neither will any Os. In this case, you must do a byte by byte read of the HD to find files and extract them. But I doubt based on the error message that that is what's wrong. Try it, the worst that can happen is that you'll be no better off than you were.~Viz