xisto Community
WeaponX

Gps System

OK, I'm kind of interested in getting a GPS device for my traveling from one location to another now. What are the GPS services that you guys have used? Any recommendations?I was told that Microsoft Streets is pretty good and it comes with the GPS device.For these services/software, do I have to pay yearly subscription fees? Like for Microsoft Streets, if I don't pay a fee (assuming one is needed each year) each year, will my service still work? I was told the GPS service itself is a government provided free service. So I assume that the worst thing is that I have a outdated map right?Thanks.

OK, I'm kind of interested in getting a GPS device for my traveling from one location to another now.  What are the GPS services that you guys have used?  Any recommendations?

I was told that Microsoft Streets is pretty good and it comes with the GPS device.

For these services/software, do I have to pay yearly subscription fees? 

No, just buy device once and can use it forever without yearly or monthly payment, it's a one shoot deal!

Like for Microsoft Streets, if I don't pay a fee (assuming one is needed each year) each year, will my service still work?

Yes,

I was told the GPS service itself is a government provided free service.  So I assume that the worst thing is that I have a outdated map right?

Yes, it may happen to everyone, so be aware of the version of MAPs. this could take some money yearly from your bank account for upgrade.

Thanks.

you r welcome B)

1064322596[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply riceworm. Also welcome aboard to Xisto B)Might invest in one of these babies in that case. I will probably get the Microsoft Streets software that includes that GPS device.PS. Next time when you post, please don't include your own reply in the QUOTE tags. Otherwise, you wouldn't be getting credit for your own post. Ask a Moderator to edit your reply if you want credit for this post.

OK, I'm kind of interested in getting a GPS device for my traveling from one location to another now.  What are the GPS services that you guys have used?  Any recommendations?

I was told that Microsoft Streets is pretty good and it comes with the GPS device.

For these services/software, do I have to pay yearly subscription fees?  Like for Microsoft Streets, if I don't pay a fee (assuming one is needed each year) each year, will my service still work?  I was told the GPS service itself is a government provided free service.  So I assume that the worst thing is that I have a outdated map right?

Thanks.

1064322596[/snapback]

Okay, I use a Garmin GPS 5 handheld unit, I paid $800 for it at best buy two years ago and it is still as good as ever. It has a full US map built into the device and enhanced maps that I uploaded for the areas surrounding me. I also have a cable that I can use to connect it to the computer and you can use the Garmin MapSource software that came with it to view waypoints, maps, , routes and your current position. I think a handheld unit is a lot better than a USB unit because the government is constantly upgrading their GPS technology. Like for instance, 10 months ago I got about 15 ft. acuracy at best on 3D GPS location. But then I upgraded the firmware in my unit and now whenever I get a lock on satellite 35 (which wasn't there before) I can switch over to 3D Differential GPS location with 7 ft. acuracy at best. So if you are willing to shell out about $500-$800 i suggest you buy a Garmin handheld unit which is the more flexable option.

----------

Sm0k3y Mcl3uD

sm0k3ymcl3ud, I actually did take that into consideration. But don't they charge you monthly fees for that? I heard that because you are using "their" software, you get charged for it. I thought I'm paying for the device and the program with it...I did see Garmin listed on eBay while I was hunting around for a satellite. Might be too expensive for me though. Would the lower end GPS handheld devices do a decent job also?For your firmware upgrades, are they free?

Not too sure myself. Do you mean the GPS programs/software? I just know that you need two components - the GPS device (or antenna if you are using a laptop for it) and the program (like Microsoft Street).It could be services for the GPS devices perhaps? Like the one that sm0k3ymcl3ud's was talking about earlier.