xisto Community
OpaQue

Pay Per Impression Programs CPM (Cost per M, not million)

Quick approval based sites are good for signing up to publishers. But they collect a lot of data for merchants and that way merchants decide whether to select or reject. Those who do the analysis before signing up to their service lose the prospective merchants and publishers because of pre-screening. I don't know your demographics of advertisers but i found that if you work on it and promote enough then surely they'll come to you. As for adsesnse, they'll give you income only if you gather the traffic from search engines. If your traffic comes from facebook and twitter then i think they'll hardly convert on your pages. Besides that google adsense earning is affected by search position and other issues related to website, SEO etc. But in case of CPM ads most of the traffic is coming to your site because your name is gone viral. You don't have to worry about whether your traffic is from search or social media. This is the plus point of CPM ads or direct advertising. Both advertisers and publishers are into win-win zone. They get name for their product in short interval of visit from users and publishers get consistent earnings as well. Google adsense is not reliable earnings source and if you follow industry leaders in publishers world. You'll notice that hardly few top publishers bother about adsense, rest of the other rely on CPA and CPM based advertising. They care for the conversion from users instead of relying on SEO and google. You may not agree at this time because you're earning from google and happy with it. You're enjoying the early cocoon of the online earning, which is good experience in itself. But later when you get mature in publishing world you'll realize that this earning is nothing but cookies in broken jar. There is much more money out there, but it all depends on expectations and satisfactory zone of any person. But if google adsense is the only earning option you have then chances are there that you'll realize this when google slaps your site or you get less visitors. You'll learn these things, all in google time. Slowly but you'll learn it if you spend enough time on it. Most of the publishers which are known in media/publishing industry know this fact and rely less on google. Especially after panda most of the merchants are moving away from adwords and going for facebook advertising and other social media sites.

Quick approval based sites are good for signing up to publishers. But they collect a lot of data for merchants and that way merchants decide whether to select or reject. Those who do the analysis before signing up to their service lose the prospective merchants and publishers because of pre-screening. I don't know your demographics of advertisers but i found that if you work on it and promote enough then surely they'll come to you.

You might be right in saying that those websites who do the analysis before signing up to their service lose the prospective merchants and publishers because of pre-screening. But the fact is that they do the anlaysis to keep their directory clean. they only allow quality publishers into their directory. In this way they can keep a higher bid on their ads and the advertisers will be willing to pay a higher amount because they will be guaranteed that their ads are placed on high quality sites. Therefore, getting approved for such programs is more valuable because they will pay you on the higher side. On the other hand, companies that don't perform any analysis before approving websites might find it difficult to charge a higher amount of money to the advertisers because the advertisers cannot be guaranteed about the quality of the publishers.That is one thing that is not on the good side for a quick approval process.

As for adsesnse, they'll give you income only if you gather the traffic from search engines. If your traffic comes from facebook and twitter then i think they'll hardly convert on your pages. Besides that google adsense earning is affected by search position and other issues related to website, SEO etc. But in case of CPM ads most of the traffic is coming to your site because your name is gone viral. You don't have to worry about whether your traffic is from search or social media. This is the plus point of CPM ads or direct advertising. Both advertisers and publishers are into win-win zone. They get name for their product in short interval of visit from users and publishers get consistent earnings as well.

Adsense is not that bad. You should give it some credit at least. You said that adsense will perform only on sites having a higher share of traffic coming from search engines. This is not a downside of adsense ads. It is a downside of all CPC ads. In fact adsense is by far the best CPC available online. All the competitors of adsense are far far behind in every aspect.Yes, you might be correct in saying that if you are running CPM ads, you don't have to worry about the source of traffic etc. But it should be kept in mind that CPC ads generate more revenus than CPM ads. How many CPM companies are there that will give you $6 or more per thousand impressions. I don't thing there are any. The highest amount you can get (I am talking about average websites not super ones) on CPM basis is $1 or $1.5 at most. Furthermore there are lots of complexities there with CPM ads. I remember signing up with network which served ads only to visitors form US. All other visitors were wasted. And the CPM rates were very very low. On the other hand, the adsense ads regularly give you a high ecpm. People say that there are fluctuations in adsense earnings and they are not constant. I say, why consider day to day basis. Why not consider month to month basis, and believe me they are fairly constant in that.
I have no inclination towards the typical CPM ads. They are just a waste of time for sites having less than 10k impressions a day. Selling ad space is a good thing. It is not like the typical CPM ads where you have lots of wasted impression. in this case you don't have to care about impressions at all. Once you get advertisers and your website does not drop in performance (it keeps to current level) you will be doing fine.

Google adsense is not reliable earnings source and if you follow industry leaders in publishers world. You'll notice that hardly few top publishers bother about adsense, rest of the other rely on CPA and CPM based advertising. They care for the conversion from users instead of relying on SEO and google. You may not agree at this time because you're earning from google and happy with it. You're enjoying the early cocoon of the online earning, which is good experience in itself. But later when you get mature in publishing world you'll realize that this earning is nothing but cookies in broken jar. There is much more money out there, but it all depends on expectations and satisfactory zone of any person.

I can imagine about why bigger fishes go for CPM ads instead of CPC ads. Why not consider the example of about.com. They are well established and almost everyone know it. Every one is willing to pay a healthy amount of money for their ad to be placed on about.com website and advertisers do pay a huge amount of money for such well established websites. In fact the sold ad spaces may earn much more than typical CPM or CPC ads because of the credibility of the website. That is why they replace the CPC or CPM ads with sold ad spaces. But how many established websites are out there. 10,000 or 20,00. There won't be much more than that (even this figure is highly exaggerated). There are more than 20 million websites out there and only 20,000 of them are so well established that they can sell their ad space for a high value. What will the remaining average publishers do. The best option for them is to go for programs like adsense because no body is going to buy ad space on these websites for a good sum of money. So if you talk about average websites, you have to go for programs like adsense.

But if google adsense is the only earning option you have then chances are there that you'll realize this when google slaps your site or you get less visitors. You'll learn these things, all in google time. Slowly but you'll learn it if you spend enough time on it. Most of the publishers which are known in media/publishing industry know this fact and rely less on google. Especially after panda most of the merchants are moving away from adwords and going for facebook advertising and other social media sites.

Why will adsense slap me if I do nothing wrong. If I am not violating their terms of service, why will they kick me out. There is a 60-40 distribution between me and them so if we do $1 business, 60cents come to me and 40cents goes to them. I mean to say that they have their own benefit in keeping me in their program. Why would someone do his own damage.
I don't know if panda has anything to do with adwords but I would like to comment on merchants going to facebook from adwords. The actual reason lies in the fact that the best place of advertisement is where a rush is present. Facebook's example is of an extremely busy square where millions of people come and go daily. Now tell me, why wouldn't the advertisers like to advertise on this square. Everyone likes to get traffic and they will always go for a source from where they can extract maximum traffic. Some advertisers have a limited advertising budget. They can either expend it on adwords or Facebook. So if they choose facebook (which is the new boy in the industry) why should we blame adwords that it was not performing and so and so. Google generates billions of dollars from serving ads each year. If it was not so good, how could it generate so much.

On the other hand, companies that don't perform any analysis before approving websites might find it difficult to charge a higher amount of money to the advertisers because the advertisers cannot be guaranteed about the quality of the publishers.

LOL. Totally wrong assumption. But i don't blame you for that because you're still in CPC infancy. Most of the aff managers who ask for member sign up on one forum which i frequently post, will surely laugh on this assumption. Aff managers work on filtering out the publishers and managing rates, this type of work is not hard for them in fact is peace of cake. You're not aware of those software which filters publishers based on region, traffic and impression, website targeting.

Adsense is not that bad. You should give it some credit at least.All the competitors of adsense are far far behind in every aspect.

Really ? 68% CPC revenue is the lowest cpc in industry if you have any idea of publisher industry survey. Google pays lowest revenue for publishers 68% for the ads and 51 percent for the search. Not going to argue with you on that because your earning model is dependent on them so you can't see the other side of the wall. As for adsense competitors, how many have you seen online ? how many of you are aware of ? how many have you dealt with ? how many aff managers or account managers from such network know you before you say this ?

How many CPM companies are there that will give you $6 or more per thousand impressions. I don't thing there are any.There are more than 20 million websites out there and only 20,000 of them are so well established that they can sell their ad space for a high value.

So YOU don't think there are any means that there are no high paying CPM advertising networks ? Hmm, that's funny. You're making claims based on pure assumptions and think that there are no CPM sites that pay higher than 6$ ? I really can't decide whether to point you to correct you or live you with this type of thinking. I'll choose the former considering your approach to publishing and media networks. Underlined part was funny for me, thanks for that. From where you get these stats by the way.

Why will adsense slap me if I do nothing wrong. If I am not violating their terms of service, why will they kick me out.

Ask this question to google. They booted demand media, about and many other good sites. All of them had adsense at one point and some still do but many are moving towards banner spaces because of this hammer from search team. Sure content farm claim against them is there but who doesn't maintain content farm on web to make money ? Every publisher does these days. Quality is subjective and anyone can find out thin-pub sites and claim it as low quality. As for your assumption of 60-40 share, google web spam and adwords team both are different and they surely disagree on decisions of google web spam. Do read SEO book blog for more information related to this. I prefer not to put more input on this considering your approach of pro-google.

As for facebook, you got it wrong. It's not about busy site or anything. But facebook ads convert so merchants are there to display their products. If in doubt you can try facebook ads yourself and see it converts for you. It has better success rate than adwords. It's always about conversion when it comes to merchants or affiliates. If ads convert on even small search engine merchants move on that place even by ignoring giants. That's business.

LOL. Totally wrong assumption. But i don't blame you for that because you're still in CPC infancy. Most of the aff managers who ask for member sign up on one forum which i frequently post, will surely laugh on this assumption. Aff managers work on filtering out the publishers and managing rates, this type of work is not hard for them in fact is peace of cake. You're not aware of those software which filters publishers based on region, traffic and impression, website targeting.

I am enjoying this discussion with you @starscream. There is a lot to learn for me in it. The assumptions which I made in my previous posts were all based on my little experience online. I have tried almost every CPM program that accepted my website. These include smowtion, adbrite, and a couple more ( I don't even remember the names). They didn't work for me at all. Furthermore the CPM rates were way too low. I can't imagine them to get multiplied by 10 even if the performance of my website triples. That is why I assumed that it is very hard to get CPM rates of more than $6/1000 impressions. Keep in mind that I am talking about average websites with less than 7k,or 6k impressions daily. Mine is way too behind. It gets only 1.2-1.4 k daily. So there is no way for the CPM ads to work for me at least till I develop my site to get more than 10 K impressions a day. The leader in my niche (which is at top spot in both Google and Bing) gets about 8k impressions a day. It is not running even a single CPM based ad on its website. All ads are adsense ads. As they say, you learn by looking at your elders, I have to take that adsense is the best choice for me.You talk about Aff Managers looking on forums for potential publishers. These aff managers are also looking only for big fishes who can do big business with them. I have mentioned many times that I am talking about average or below average websites with less than 7k pageviews per day.
How many websites with less than 7k pageviews will get attention of these aff managers. I don't think there will be much. So if you are a webmaster of such a website which doesn't get attention of Aff managers, what are you supposed to do. What options do you have. Is there any program better than adsense for such publishers. I don't think there is (if the site gets a share of traffic from search engines). You may find my discussions funny but I am saying all this after experimenting with CPM programs for which my website (an average developing website) was approved. If their are programs better than adsense for me in my current situation, why don't you tell me about them.

Really ? 68% CPC revenue is the lowest cpc in industry if you have any idea of publisher industry survey. Google pays lowest revenue for publishers 68% for the ads and 51 percent for the search. Not going to argue with you on that because your earning model is dependent on them so you can't see the other side of the wall. As for adsense competitors, how many have you seen online ? how many of you are aware of ? how many have you dealt with ? how many aff managers or account managers from such network know you before you say this ?

You are not looking at the bigger aspect of the picture. There are other CPC programs which might give even 80% of share to the webmasters. But the point you need to understand is that in CPC, the thing that matters the most is relevancy of ads. If your ads are not relevant to the content of your website, how many clicks are you supposed to get from your visitors. I don't think you can get much. All the competitors of adsense have very small inventories (compared to adsense). Not all sites can get relevant ads through this program and my website is one of them. I have tried chitika CPC ads. Believe me I hardly got any relevant ad on my website. So even if google gives you 68%, if you are getting more clicks than what you can get with other programs, you are at a significant benefit. Furthermore the CPC rates of adwords are higher than CPC rates of Chitika or say adbrite for same keywords. So 68% share at adsense will end up with more money than 80% share at other programs. You have have to admit that, even if you have significantly ANTI-Google thoughts.

So YOU don't think there are any means that there are no high paying CPM advertising networks ? Hmm, that's funny. You're making claims based on pure assumptions and think that there are no CPM sites that pay higher than 6$ ? I really can't decide whether to point you to correct you or live you with this type of thinking. I'll choose the former considering your approach to publishing and media networks. Underlined part was funny for me, thanks for that. From where you get these stats by the way.

I think you are not getting the base of my discussion. I am talking about average or below average websites. Websites which get lower than 7k or even 10 k pageviews per day. How many websites do you know, which get less than 7K impressions and still get CPM rates as high as $6. There would hardly be any. The reason is that CPM business is like a vicious circle. The more you get famous, the higher rates you get. I have nothing to do with big fishes getting whatever rates of CPM, I have to consider my self and I have to look at my website first. If CPM is not working for me, I have to say that it doesn't work. If adsense works the best for me, I have to say that adsense is the best. What is so funny about it. I have to say what I experience. You are right that I am in infancy. I am not a mature publisher yet. And by saying so you have answered all questions by yourself. An infant will always talk about what is good for infants. He will not care about the elders (the big fishes). What works for the big fishes may be in fact the best. What works for me may be temporary. But the point is that I cannot say adsense is bad if I haven't experienced anything bad in it. I cannot say CPM is the best form of advertisement if I haven't yet earned money from it.

Ask this question to google. They booted demand media, about and many other good sites. All of them had adsense at one point and some still do but many are moving towards banner spaces because of this hammer from search team. Sure content farm claim against them is there but who doesn't maintain content farm on web to make money ? Every publisher does these days.

I am afraid you might not be correct about about.com or even demand media etc leaving adsense and going to other forms of advertisement. If you go to about.com at this very moment and checkout there niche pages (pages which actually display content), you will find that they have 3 adsense ad units. My friend, 3 ad units is the maximum you can have. You are not allowed to serve more than 3 ad units on a single page. So if about.com is serving google ads to their maximum potential, how can you say they are moving away from adsense to other forms of advertisement. You have to prove this first before anyone buys it. Without proof no one is going to buy it. Most likely, about.com is displaying banner ads because they still have space for ads left on their pages. Let me ask you a question. If banner ads pay more than adsense ads, why will the about.com webmasters not replace the adsense ad units with banner ads. Why are they still displaying maximum allowed number of adsense ad units. Answer the question if you can. No body is a fool to waste opportunities of making money. And we are talking about big fishes like about.com here. They have special departments to take care of advertisement stuff. They are very unlikely to let the money go away easily.

As for facebook, you got it wrong. It's not about busy site or anything. But facebook ads convert so merchants are there to display their products. If in doubt you can try facebook ads yourself and see it converts for you. It has better success rate than adwords. It's always about conversion when it comes to merchants or affiliates. If ads convert on even small search engine merchants move on that place even by ignoring giants. That's business.

Facebook ads have their own pros and cons. They might me more effective than adwords but this doesn't mean that adwords is bad.

@Ahsaniqbal, smowtion has very low CPM rate and is not at all considered as worthy for CPM ads. Buysellads and Influads are paying high rates for the CPM. Influads has rate that even adsense earning can't match. it is show on some of the popular sites on the web. Take case of signal vs noise blog from the 37 signals. they're the one using these ads networks on their properties and geenerating enough revenues.

As for you learning from leaders in your niche. You have to understand that leaders in niche is subjective stuff. For example, ehow and about.com are getting more traffic after panda last two months and google is not even calculating their traffic properly. About.com is not running adsense ads but more of custom ads which includes all the advertisers possible from CPC networks. Considering you're following them as an example, you really think these corporation will let you have high CPM advertisers on your blog ? lets keep quality and stuff aside, it's the competition that matters. And they're cashing in on that way. What you see doesn't have to be the same for earning markets. For example, US based sites are showing adsense for asian users and some CPM ads for local users. By that way they are earning much more than adsnese earning. So are you deducing that you'll do much better by following your competitors. You have to understand competitor analysis and when to let it go when it comes to results.

As for chitika ads, they perform well on US based sites. Have you done ranking analysis and traffic from US on your site. If so, have you asked chitika if they have relevant ads ? if not then you're better off running affiliate ads that convert for your niche than using CPC ads. It's all about better conversion. CPC ads may be relevant and pay less. Affiliate ads can pay more if they';re relevant.

7K/Day is the traffic rate of duckduckgo.com search engine in 2010, they used to get more than 16$ CPM rate. I guess you have to dig deep that much to see how much they pay for super relevant traffic. Now that duckduckgo.com is using carbon ads and influads, they're going to earn a bit more. Your problem is that you're thinking CPC as more value than CPM and affiliate ads. It's not that way and in case of panda, CPC text ad based site is likely to get hit more than CPM banner ads. That's what my observation says in case of US based traffic.

As for about.com, they show adsense ads for asians and low CPM countries. For local us and canada they show custom ads. You are also wrong on ad placement thing. You're allowed to have 3 image/flash ads and 3 link units. So total of 6 units per page are allowed. Also there is thing called premium adsense publisher which has higher limit of ads and better CPM rates. Adsense will let you know if you reach that point. Same goes for demand media, they show custom ads for local traffic. Do check this by going through the proxy and i mean genuine proxy not some free site that browses for the sake of anonymity. You need proxy IP to check these sites for local view in US and Canada. You'll notice that they run campaigns for local traffic. Hubpages is doing this for quite some time now. You think ehow and about.com will leave behind ?

Facebook ads are super relevant to user, activity, groups. In case of adwords, they're just slapping the ads on users. Do read this post if you want to know about goodness of adwords.