xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ConDor

phpBB

hi, everyone here knows that there is a forum called phpBB.I like that free software, and there are many templates.it are all php scripts. Does somebody know how to install mods ??you can find them on the internet but they say what you need to do with the standard-template. my template got antother script and what they say in the tect is not equal.What van i do

Does somebody know how to install mods ??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should go to the phpbb mods area and look for a mod called "Easy Mod" then you just install it and place the mod you want to install in its folder and it will install the mod for you its that Easy ;) . I HIGHLY reccommend that you make a backup before modding a forum especially if you are inexperienced because you can seriously mess up your forum if you dont.

Just so that you know... PhpBB is a real pain in the *bottom* to upgrade if you have several mods installed. Especially if they're big mods.

And phpBB needs to be regularly upgraded since there's quite a lot of security issues.

So if you go forth and install phpBB and mod it heavily (with categories hierarchy for example) you should also be prepared to reinstall the whole system when a new version comes out.

Oh and one more thing... when you use heavy mods, you are also dependent on the mod coder to say up to date with the main forum software. For many mods you need to get the up top date version in order it to work 100%.

So my advice to you, as an old phpBB admin, install mods only if they are absolutely neccessary! And TAKE FREQUENT back-ups!!!

Personally, I would start a new board with phpBB system. The main code is very old (for an web application) and the forum in itself has very poor features compared to modern systems. The old code has had tons of patches and changes and that must hurt the performance too.

If you're not passionate about open-source, but just looking for a free forums software turn to SMF. It has way more features, much nicer upgrade system and good and growing number of mods and themes. But if you're hardcore open-source guy, phpBB is currently the best option.