xisto Community
IWroteCode

Is Bittorrent Safe?

Bit torrent (I use Bit-Comet), Is probaly oen of the fastest, safest download types there are. I use Isohunt for all of my downloads, And I'm not talking about Pirating software, I'm talking about http://www.purepwnage.com/ videos and FilePlanet files. My HL2 mod is hosted with only torrent files because if they are not, the files take too long to download.

My experiences with Bittorent have been pretty good. I haven't had any spyware problems, nor have I had any other problems. I dont have great security .. so if the program was intended to do anything malicious I'm sure it would have by now. Good luck convincing your dad! :mellow:

So far I must say Bittorrents have been relatively reliant. Many Torrent sites offer reviews of files being downloaded and I would suggest for extra security reading them rather than blindly downloading the wanted file.

Bittorrent is safe when you're using bittorrent to download legal files. I don't see how it could be in anyway harmful. Just virus scan your files before you extract anything. My experiences with bittorrent have been pretty good. Now that I'm on dial-up for the time being, it's a little less useful. :mellow:

Haha, dialup....Blasphemy, I would have to shoot myself if it came to that.Well, BitComet uses multiple seeders huh? Maybe I'll check that out. :mellow: Is there a way to get an acceptable download rate if I have to disable uploading? Reason for asking is that he:1. Finds out by uploading.2. Has it blocked or made it veeeerry verrrrrry slow by closing ports.Thanks. V

The program itself is safe, as long as you downloaded one that's not from kazaa or something. Get it from it's official website to avoid hidden viruses and trojans inside of it.It's what you download that is not safe in certain cases. Sometimes, right when a download finishes and begins seeding, a virus might be detected in the file. Hopefully you do have ur antivirus on for it to be seen, although most viruses can pass that still. You just gotta watch out what you download with bittorent. Usually it's the programs that might contain a hidden virus when installing. I got so many, but luckily norton detected them all, and afterwards I deleted the program and put way from that forever.

Bit Torrent, like any piece of file sharing software will only be as dangerous as you make it. Just like a computer, bit torrent is a piece of software waiting for you to give it some instructions to tell it what file to download. As long as you use legal sources that you can trust you should be fine, although it is still important to keep your system updated and secure with security software that is well updated, even though this will still not gaurentee your computer and information's safety. The only way to truely have a secure computer is to put it in a titanium cube underground, with no hookups to the internet.

No, it's pretty safe. Also, getting your own computer would be easier. I do, so there's no conflict. Plus, it's really safe. Yet, you still got some chances that a cracker may come in and try to take over your computer.That's why I only run P2P software on my Linux partition. With SELinux and Novell AppArmor enabled.xboxrulz

FIrst of all, BitTorrent is harmless !!!!!To answer your question, no BitTorrent will not get any data from your computer (assuming that the download is clean like you said). Careful on the torrent program that you are getting though. If it's just the original BitTorrent program, then you should be ok. There are a few out there that contain spyware, just for your information. the worst thing is that - you need a good defragment tools to keep you disk safe.

I use the Bitlord Bitorrent and so far had no problems on my system with it. I think Bitorrents are great and pretty quick depending on your interenet connection. Unless you have a phone line, which then makes bitorrents extremely slow and not worth the hassle. But with a good internet connection they are great. The only thing is that if you have a firewall it might interfere with the speed of your downloads. But most of the time bitorrents are safe, just do a virus scan before you download a file.

Notice from jipman:
Alright... Everyone's using this topic to spam about how safe it is and stuff.. Which isn't what the Topicstarter asked for. If only you guys actually read the previous posts in the topic.....There are no usefull replies here now. I'm locking this one upIWroteCode, if you do want it unlocked again, PM a mod or and admin.

SHaring music.

Is Bittorrent Safe?

Your all talking about it being safe if tis a clean file. How can you tell if the file is clean or not? cheers

-Jamie

Say if i accidentaly shared copyrighted material?

Is Bittorrent Safe?

I accidentally share something illegaly could the feds find me?

-joe cabo