xisto Community
KnightEagle

Best Way To Manage File/folders Of A Web Site?

When I first started to create web pages I just placed everything into one large file. That soon got to be a pain in the rear. To find one item I would have to scroll for ever to find what i needed. Then I started to create sub folders such as index/happy/day/fast.html I think most get my point. I just started using a mixture of folders and link to folders such as this: tom.html which has a folder linked to it called tom_files and in that folder all gifs and backgrounds and other on call items for that page are placed. then sub directoryes as a tree would have. Would like to hear from other what they do to keep there pages in order and easy to manage.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

This is a very interesting question and one for the ages. Right now I have a fairly small site so I only have two main folders + the extra php directories for my blog, etc. The root holds all my html pages while the /images holds all the pictures. As the site gets bigger I plan to split some of the pages off into different folders such as putting the tutorials in /tutorials and code into /code. Right now this is just too much of a hassle. I update the site via Frontpage so any change in links are reflected and it is fairly easy. Now if I can only get entire directories to be ignored for upload instead of individual file I would be all set.

/html/php/php/logic/php/junk/css/images/other Is how I work. As much logic and understanding for anyone else as I can make it and im happy, as if someone else can understand it, then its a logical system and logical systems always prove to work the best :D

I have fairly simple hierarchy of folders in my website...i have alll the html files of base site under public_html folderand other...images under images/blogs under blogs/forum under forum/gallery under gallery/etc etcand it is really simple to handle...

Well, the organitation of folders maybe should be, 1. Principall folder, that contains the index files 1. 1. A subfolder called index that contains the subfolders, images, fla forms, swf, and all the rest of folders for each thing that is use. 1.2 A subfolder called, images than contain the images that I probably will be use in the creation, or in the process of the page. 1.3 A lot of subfolders with the information of each think that shoul be in my page, for example, Games, University, Fashion, Software, and the things that my page should be have. 1.4 One folder called, backup, to safe, all the backup of the page, in this folder I keep only a file, a compress file with all the website, in side of this, because it can happend something and I have a backup. 1.5 . A subfolder called various, and in here, a put all the webtemplates, archives, and things that I think that thery are should be usefull to my website.finally, a folder called dowloads, and here in this folder, all the archives of my website, for example the .rar, .zip, .exe, .doc, and the rest of the files that the people download to their computers, documents, archives, programs**, games****Obviously legal!!And that is it .. that is my folder organitation of my page, and I use Dreamweaver, to upload my website with the FTP, protocol. :D