xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kurt18th

Ad-aware Differences

Does anyone know the main differences between the different Ad-Aware types. I have the free personal edition and I love it so I was thinking of upgrading to something better from the same company. I'd appreciate it if you could help me with this.

Well I havent used them in a long time on my own PC (cause you dont need anti spy ware on linux ). Also on my sister's laptop i barely use internet explorer so i dont get any spy ware there either. I have used SpyBot Search and Destroy and it fullfills my need.As far as i understand if u are an IT professional and manage multiple systems..these PRO versions may help you ..ie clean systems remotely. On the ad-aware site Entripse versions catch stuff in REAL time ..which may be helpful in some cases. As far as home users are concerend you are better off just using a free version. And not using Internet Explorer at all :D

Which ones are you talking about here? I now see that Ad-aware also has a version for Business users. If you are just talking about the Home users version, they have the free one and a Pro and Plus edition. I think the only difference between them mainly is the real-time protection program called Ad-Watch.

If you are referring to the Business user version, then take a look here for more information.

My suggestion is to not get it. Hey if you want to support them you may upgrade if you wish, but there are other free programs that will provide real-time protection also. Spybot's TeaTimer and SpywareGuard has the free real-time protection features. I have all of these programs' links listed at my site along with other anti-spyware information if you are interested.

I don't trust microsoft antispyware alone... but thats just me. I dont actually use it at all except on my work pc. At home I use a nice combo of adaware and SS&D. I prefer adaware as it usually works faster and finds more BUT SS&D finds some that adaware misses and vice versa so I use both to get a good healthy dose of adaware cleansing... although I'm sure some slips past even both of those but I figure 1 av and 2 anti-adware and I'm pretty safe along with using IE as little as humanly possible.But yea the real-time adware scanner is pretty tight. I havn't used it much but I've used comps that had it and it was a nice idea. Having real time scanning for viruses AND adware makes roaming the web alot more safe feeling.