xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
infamousflame

Apache Server Problems Can anyone help with these?

Hey,

I run an apache server using XAMPP (yes I cheated :D ). XAMPP is supposed to install FileZilla FTP server software, but mine came up as red (deactivated) on the status checks. Can anyone suggest a possible cause or recommend some free FTP server software. (Preferably easy-to-setup).

Also, I can't figure out how to chmod files on my server. I suppose if I had FTP support I could do it that way, but it would be a bit annoying considering I'm a server webmaster lol. I read somewhere something about doing it through command prompt in apache/bin. I couldn't find a command prompt thing in there that allowed me to execute command lines, I think they were all 'pre-programmed' ones.

Please help me ASAP,

Thanks.

Technial Info:

OS: Win XP Home (I run it on my home PC, i have no intention of paying for anything extra)
Server software: Apache through XAMPP (also installs; php, mysql, mercury mail server and filezilla ftp)

If anyone needs more details, post here or email me: infamousflame23@gmail.com

Thanks again.

XAMPP has a control panel, which should allow you to turn on/off the services, FileZilla FTP is an excellent FTP server and you might want the client too. So find the XAMPP control panel, I think it's a shortcut placed on your desktop or check your programs.You could use chmod from the FTP client if you like, but chmod is just the same as setting read-only (no write) access on your files, directories, etc. Don't have to worry about execute because Windows allows it. So just right click on the files, directories and set it's read/write in the properties.From command line, you could use the ATTRIB command use attrib /? for more information from the commandline, e.g. attrib +r file.ext will allow read-only -r will disallow it (I think, use /? to check arguments to pass).Cheers,MC

Where in the properties? All it gives me is read only and hidden. And someone just told me windows doesn't chmod too.Also;Is my data secure then? What about scripts that require chmods (something says I need to chmod to 666 to access the admin panel, but it also says i can disable the security, should I disable it?)

In windows Chmod is called Security or File Permissions,Right Click the File or Folder, Select the Security Tab, then Highlight the User or Group, Full Control is chmod 777,