xisto Community
gamerchick39

I Need Help With Animated Gifs (not Showing Up) my computer is being wierd

alrighty.. for the past week or so, ive been having trouble viewing animated GIF's.. my avatar, some pics of mine on myspace.. they just show up black, no animation or anything... i checked this stuff on my sisters computer and it shows up fine, so i am assuming its my computer.. the only thing i can think of would be zone alarm or my antivirus program which is eTRUST EZ Antivirus.any ideas on this, ive never had any problems before.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Try shutting them down and then see if they are showing up. Which browser are you using? Try it with another browser and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Until you say otherwise, I assume you're using IE to browse the net. If so, try to check your IE settings to see if IE is set to show animated images. You can find the setting under Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. In the Multimedia settings, make sure that Play animation in web pages is checked. Restart IE if you've made any changes, then try to view the gifs again.

If that doesn't work, then it's possible that there may be a setting in either IE or your firewall (if you have one) that blocks animated images, although that's unlikely if you haven't had that problem before.

This problem may also be registry related, so updating or repairing IE can reset you registry settings so the images will be shown properly.

As a last resort, you could try downloading a free alternative browser like Firefox. If viewing animated gifs works on Firefox (or whatever browser you choose) then the problem's definitely with your IE.

Of course, you're not using IE in the first place then I'm just shooting my mouth off. =^^= In that case, further details on the issue would be appreciated.

Edit: Silly me, I forgot that you had Zone Alarm. >_< Anyway, open Zone Alarm, go to the Privacy Tab and click on the custom button. Make sure that the option to block animation is turned OFF.

Hope this works! If not, then tell me (in detail) and I'll see what else I can think of. =^^=

awesome Hraefn, you nailed it, i changed the privacy settings on zone alarm and now the animated gif's are showing up just fine. Thanks a ton, i can breathe a sigh of relief knowing my computer isnt messed up haha. Thanks again for the help :D

No problem — I'm glad I was able to help. =^^=After looking around the web, it's become apparent that many people have had this same problem. Apparently Zone Alarm isn't that intuitive and user-friendly. Glad I don't use it myself. =^^=