xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sickgrrl723

Seeking Suggestions To Buy A New Computer

Hey guys, I'm really into buying a new computer. I'm a graphic designer who has used PCs for most of my life up until recently when I went to school. Then, I found the Mac. I love it! But, that's not the point. I'm really dying to get a new comp because all I have at home is a PC... nothing against it, it raised me, but I have to share and with a computer geek like me, I want to be on it all the time. So, I've been researching them and I'm stuck between the 15" Powerbook and the Dual 2.3GHz. I really like the portability of the powerbook, but i like the space of the DUal. Besides that, my mom is a strict PC person and refuses to let me own a Mac in her house. Is there any little tidbits of info I can use to convince my mom that a mac is better for my graphics?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Well as a designer doing it for living, PCs have really caught up to Macs in terms of graphics, audio ect, and the difference between the two are pretty much negligible... Although Macs do seem to still be better for doing video work. Now the debate between the powerbook and desktop model, if you prefer the powerbook, but fare running out of space, there is always room for expansion, USB drives, external drives ect.I love macs, but to tell you the truth I spend most of my time working on the PC for graphics.

Apple's Switcher Site is probably the best place to get information to convince your mom that your decision is a good one.

What if you and your mom make a compromise. Maybe she can buy the mac and you can pay her back monthly? You didn't say your age, so I'm thinking you still are in high school and living at home, so it makes things harder.

Take a look at that website Apple set up and see what you can do to get your mom to see the way of Apple as a viable alternative.

Besides, you qualify for a student's educational price and that would save her money, too.

Girl, how is the battle going? Have you been able to convince your mom that you'd rather have that mac than a windows based computer?I'm fortunate to be in a family of apple users. Dad got us the first apples available and each of us learned to use them at an early age.I hope you're able to convince your mom to see the light. Tell her that it is what you like and want to use. Give her a hug and tell her that it is time you had your own computer to use.

well i like mac its a really good operating system but it wont run on my hardrive lol i can only put xp on it (stupid cluster). and in all my attempts to put Mac on my drive failed but i geuss over the time that i have had Xp on my computer i have grown to love it for some of its features and other parts but lol i still LOVE LUNIX.....alittle off topic sorry