xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
osknockout

Os Construction - Kernel Revision

So yes, osknockout has finally picked up the epic quest to create an Operating System. Why? Well, why not? Besides a million C packages doesn't do too much good - even if it is C. With that answered, I've decided to create a CDROM-based system - not like Knoppix which takes 2 hours to load, but rather a generally fast, efficient (small?) os. I kindly request comments/improvements to my kernel plan:Here's what I've got (it's in x86 asm prog. terms):(assume tables are updated upon checking)--loop--1)test PIC status register and check IRQs -if PIC generated an exception go to PIC code, if other IRQs, go to IRQ code2)check memory pointer table (keeps record of what's where in memory) -XCHG & MOV as necessary...3)check task&request pointer list -prioritize list, LOADALL if necessary, and edit index & segment registers--loop--

So... if I've understood it you're going to make your own OS, from scratch? You do know that there are loads of other tiny Linux distributions, besides Knoppix, right? :angry:
Here is one list

But if you really want to do it, good luck.

cool, be sure it's gonna have a GUI like KDE if you want to make it popular. Best if you can get the OS to be port friendly so we ccan help porting software over. Also, it would be best if this OS could also be open source and compete against Linux.xboxrulz

So... if I've understood it you're going to make your own OS, from scratch? You do know that there are loads of other tiny Linux distributions, besides Knoppix, right?  :)

Right, I'm creating my own OS from scratch. It seems no one here has ever tried to program an os, so I don't think I'll ever get my topic answered :) and yes, I know there are a million and one linux distributions.

cool, be sure it's gonna have a GUI like KDE if you want to make it popular. Best if you can get the OS to be port friendly so we ccan help porting software over. Also, it would be best if this OS could also be open source and compete against Linux.

thanks, I'll think up something... I was thinking of porting gcc, make, and perl. If I need to enlarge this list, (which I believe I do) do tell. It'll be open source, but I'm having a little trouble getting things started. I'm writing in assembly, but everybody writes in something like C/C++, so it might take some time getting development going. Nice idea, open source OS competitions. :P That would boost OS performance by quite a bit

Thanks xboxrulz. I'll get you some stuff pretty soon. Do you use BOCHS by any chance?

Bochs is a PC emulator, so it's used for OS testing. I got it to do a "hello world!" through BIOS commands and a floppy image. :) But that's ok, what system do you plan to alpha test it on?

I was planning to run it on my VMWare that was installed on my system (on my Windows side), but it would be great if I have a choice to install the OS into the hdd instead of your idea of just running it off the CD, which is in fact slower. Plus, can I have the URL for the site?Thanks,xboxrulzPS: Just give me the files and I run some tests on your system :) rite away since I'm on March Break til' next Tuesday.

Oh you have VMWare? Nice. I'd like a copy :) I was thinking about that actually and I decided I'd make it a bit more general, like Linux so I'll create perhaps a floppy, cdrom, and hdd distributions. By the way, I have no experience with booting something I've made off a partition... if you could describe the process, I'd gladly port it for that.

Well you can use GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) which is the current boot loading program for Linux and other UNIX based operating system.

The sourcecode and other information are located here

xboxrulz

I was thinking of LILO actually... what's so different about them all?

I don't think LILO would work with your OS unless the structure is very very close to the Linux kernel since LILO stands for LInux LOader.GRUB is also a more sophisticated bootloader that even works if you're even booting a UNIX system. SkyOS, which is NOT based on UNIX uses it as their bootloader. All they needed is to make configurations for GRUB to boot their Filesystem.GRUB is also better than LILO in Linux because if your system ever will not boot; LILO requires a rescue disc and GRUB does not.That's the difference between GRUB and LILO.xboxrulz

Alright that makes sense. I'll get you a copy of the code and disk images as soon as I find my floppy... I was planning to port it to a CD-ROM for driver space. Sorry about the delay, I had some travel to do. Also, the site forums will probably be in phpBB since I'm having problems with MercuryBoard.