xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
organicbmx

Going On Holiday what about x-ray machines?

Hiim going on holiday on sunday and i read somewhere that the x-ray scanners can expose and ruin film in film cylinders and in the camera itself. Is this true and if so what can i do about it. Also other tips about taking a camera and shooting photographs abroad, im going close in the world to where those amateur aeroplane enthusiasts where imprisoned for spying and release a month or so later!thanks for the helppaddy

I dont really know about how xrays effect film and all but if you have a digital camera you can just let it go through without worrying about anything. Maybe you can show the people at the security check that your tranporting film and dont want to let it go through the xray. As for shooting in the airplane there wont be any problems. i always shoot many pics in the airplane and the stewardes dont mind. if you shoot inside the airplane and not out the window watch out to keep poeoples privacy.

This is my favorite site. It lists what you is allowed on planes now and about security and handling of your items. Camera on the road is good enough to be bookmarked.

Travel Photography Tips has some good solid information and tips on xrays and film cameras. It also has information on taking a camcorder through airport security.

Photo Net has several posts from people who have taken their film and camera through airport security. It might make you feel more comfortable reading from those who have already been there.

This site from Kodak has information from two years ago. It may have some relevant information for you.

Just be careful when on the road and don't forget to take lots of pictures. The best picture taken isn't always the one you planned, but the one you find in the prints you get made once you're home!

Enjoy your trop.

Ah man, I should have asked this also. I didn't know those scanners could damage my film. I brought two rolls of film on my trip and it did go through at least a few scans already. I kept it in my laptop bag and the inspectors didn't even say anything. :)

Im pretty sure that xrays can damage your film, but if you use digital camera all should be ok. But, however, I heard from some friends of mine, that they had some CD collections in bags, and xrays destroyed them, but I found that unlikely... good luck on your holiday.oh, and sorry about double post but...if you have a camera with film inside, so it's not digital, your film (I think) can't be damaged by X-rays... it, can be "damaged" only by some light source, and only when you take pictures (ofcourse) so, technically, X-ray is not light source. it's an radiation... But, if you are afraid of loosing your pics on film, put your camera with film into a large lead can or bag of some sort, so X-rays can't get inside. :)

X-rays can expose film, but I have run it through with no problems. Hi ISO films might have more problems though. I remember they made me put it through the x-ray and told me that it should be fine. I think at the time I had 400 film on me.

Dude X-ray scanners earlier on were like that. Since films get destroyed when exposed to some light source - and x-rays essentially are an invisible part of the same spectrum, they can indeed destroy films.

But nowadays you'll notice - they've done some modifications to the scanning beam (not sure what - frequency, amplitude - whatever) - but on most scanners, you'll find a label in BIG YELLOW AND BLACK, saying FILMSAFE. If you notice that label on the airport scanner - you can be more than 100% sure that your films are going to come out without a single scratch.

As for X-rays destroying CDs (as finalesigns friend said) - it's utterly impossible. CDs would be destroyed only if you were directly casting some high frequency laser on them - enough to heat up the polymer and destroy the pit orientations.

Regards,

m^e

well i can report that ive been on holiday and come back and my films have all come out perfectly. I took them through as hand luggage and they went through that scanners on the side for backpacks and bags and that. They went through both English and Italiian scanners and were fine. I'll post the best soon.

Most X-Ray machines won't purely "destroy" film, but instead partially expose it giving it a washed out appearance. However, this is quite rare with today's X-rays. From what I've both read and heard, you should only really be concerned if you use very high ISO film, such as 1600 or 3200. If you're really paranoid, you might worry a tad about 800. Since most of the film sold is below 800, you'll have little worries. I've taken many rolls of film through airport X-Rays, and I've had no issue with them. You can buy a little pouch that will somewhat protect your film, but I wouldn't waste the money. If you're uber-paranoid, you'd fly to your destination, buy film there, get it processed, and have no worries. If you're uber-uber-paranoid you'd fly, buy, and then ship back your film via FedEX Ground or USPS.