xisto Community
Logan Deathbringer

Looking For A Honest Review And Critique would like my site reviewed

@computerjoe : I am interested by your suggestion, I will give nvu a try. From their main page it seems to be easy to use, easier than FP. From your own experience, is it able to modify directly the files on Xisto, without download-uploading ?

@computerjoe : I am interested by your suggestion, I will give nvu a try. From their main page it seems to be easy to use, easier than FP.

From your own experience, is it able to modify directly the files on Xisto, without download-uploading ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about nvu but I'm now using dreamweaver mx and although I have to download each page/frame set that I work with and then load it back to the server it doesn't bother me to much. Also I can download the complete site to my local machine do massive amounts of updates and what not then load the whole thing back up or any combination inbetweeen.

I tried NVU. I was first really impressed, because I only had to give my login and password and I could open any file on my site. That was great, after modifying a page or a couple of pages I only had to click "publish" or "publish as", and the modifications were on my site.

Everything went bad when I tried to look at my site using Microsoft Internet Explorer (I know, this is stupid, but some of my cousins have really basic PC's at home, so they use IE).

I was trying to do things varying everyday. Three days ago I created a new link, and i wrote NEW just before the link to click on it.

so, I tried to modify that page with NVU : I just wanted to remove the word New. On the "normal" screen it worked fine, on the "preview" screen it worked fine. then I clicked "publish", it was modified.

But, when opening my site with Internet Explorer, I saw html pieces of code, like

<------------------If noexist blabla---------------------------<endif>---------

So, it really seems that NVU hates pages created using Microsoft Word or created using Microsoft FrontPage.

Or maybe the product seems easy to use, but you have to learn first.

or, maybe, it has to be used from the very beginning, when creating the first page.

Don't really know, but I remain rather disappointed.

@Logan Deathbringer : I re-visited your site, I'm impressed. I like it quite a lot.By the way, how did you your template ? I would like to be able to create your bottom-line navigation box as a set of clickable folder-like buttons.Maybe you are right opening the forum in a separate window, maybe it's nicer than opening in the first window.Anyway, I like it a lot, congratitulations. Yordan

Hey, cool site! (Admittedly, I know little to nothing about games, so I can't say that this is going to be overly helpful for you - but i'm sure that you still take compliments, hehe.)The layout's cool. You did a good job making the foreground/text/images NOT suck when put onto the black background, and it's pretty easy for me to find what I want. Oh, and nice touch putting relevant links on the left side of the main page - convenient *and* good looking.Overall, I like it. It doesn't take forever to load, which is cool. and even though I have no idea of what you're talking about on this site (not your fault - I'm not a gamer, really), I can still figure out how to get around in it and everything. Good job.Oh, and you typed "on" instead of "one" in your "please select..." line on the "contact" page. (Sorry - former editor in me!)

Your site has good content there, regarding "Knights of glory". Im really not interested it that game, so I can't comment the content good enough, but:
* you might want to enable that right click. Anyway if you are afraid that people would look the code in you page, disabling right-mouse-click would do nothing because you can still access the code by clicking Edit > View source. (Or something similar in different browsers)
* You are using frames. Maybe to avoid them... There are some browsers that do not support frames (very old ones like links on linux) but that is not really relevant...
* A "powered by Xisto" button can be somewhere in the bottom of page. I know you appreciate Xisto's hosting, but this way you are really showing it's a hosted of some free service and it looks kinda some sort of forced ad.
* When I tried to search at your "search" service for term "Logan" - script found many pages that do not exist. Try to fix that. It will be usefull later when you fill-up your webpages with lot's of content...
* Try to minimize the font-size changes, Try to make some sort of "Standard" for your pages, maybe to determine font-size and font-color for headings, heading 1, body text, and such... Use always same scheme. It will give your site one simple and attractive look. Do not use too large fonts. They are un-attractive, ofcourse do not use too small also... Try to find a middle.
* Define some nice colors to links, and visited links color. Do not use that default colors because they look ugly on black background.
* I would change also that counter in bottom frame. It's just too big, And that frame around it it's too large. Use something smaller, and as you are now on Xisto, you can use php - there are lot's of free scripts for counters and such on sites like http://www.hotscripts.com/ - find one for counter, they are extremely easy to install and embed onto a website.
* Exclude that border on images that contain links. It's again ugly color there... and it would be better if you would have border=0 inside imgsrc tag. Refer to some online resources for html if you don't know how to do it.
* Your site loads pretty well, there is no much picture-content (like themes at forums)

That should be it.. I wish you all the luck with your website...

@Finaldesign:boarder on images that contain links? could you be more specific please I have looked at the site and cannot find what your are describing. Also what browser are you using to view it...I have checked it with IE and Firefox and don't see the boarder.Will look into the rest of your suggestions and comments with the roll out of the next major revision to the site. As soon as I can get a few of the scripts I'm using currently to work in Mombo I will be switching to it and the frames will be gone.