xisto Community
punkpig5

iPod Battery Issue mine dies quickly

Out-of-topic:From what I've heard, laptop batteries have about the same problem too. (Although most companies will not replace your battery for free like Apple do). My dad's ancient Acer laptop has 2 batteries. He often uses only one but when the first one runs out he will switch then recharge the second one for next time.

But what he usually does when he keeps the laptop at home is that he leaves the battery in the laptop while it is FULLY charged but he just leaves it running. This is a major no-no if your computer isn't from Apple.

Windows-build computers have a major problem with their batteries. After a while of doing that it will slowly get worse and worse. Of course Apple computers have the same problem but its designed for longer battery operation so...there you go..

I don't get what you mean... You say that he left the battery in the laptop while its fully charged and the computer running? I don't see anything wrong with that. Unless I'm missing something, which I'm sure I am since I don't understand what you're getting at... :o

I have an i-pod mini an old one from about 1 and 1/2 years ago and the battery runs out pretty fast anyone else have this problem.Is there a website where you can complain and get a new one.Well if you have the same problem or know how to solve it reply or send me a message.

I have an ipod mini too and the battery also runs out really fast. I have no idea why it does that but I have to charge it like very second/third day becuase the battery ran out.

Personally, I think iPods are junk. I own a 4th gen mini and the screen has quickly burned out in the corners after about a year. The click wheel is often very unresponsive, even though I've been very tender with it for all of its life. The battery life is a joke, and the fact that it's filing system is proprietary to iTunes completely irritates me. I think apple should focus on their excellent pcs and leave the mobile music industry to companies like Creative and Sony.

Apple has definitely helped the industry a lot with their serious competition and innovative ideas, hence the further development of our current technology with portable audio/video devices. However, there are much better products for your buck than the iPod. Check out the iAudio X5. It has many more features than the new video iPods and, personally, does not pose nearly as close a resemblence of commercial monopoly as Apple.

No matter what, every electrical appliance with a rechargable battery begins to die after about a year of use. It can't be helped, just, prolonged. Like what Moody said earlier, only charge it once the battery has ran out, and then charge it until it's full, or else you could find yourself with a completely dead, unusable battery in a matter of months.

WHY DOES THIS BATTERY DIE SO QUICKLY?!iPod Battery Issue

My Apple Ipod Nano has a HUGE battery problem!  I just got it like a week ago and the battery dies after 20 min. No matter how long I had charged it before using it. PLEASE HELP!

-reply by Jessica

I POD DIES FASTiPod Battery Issue

Okay, I have a  pink 3rd gen apple I pod nano and it dies when ever I turn off the lock! I can only listen to one song because if I go through my song list it DIES! I don't know if this is the problem but I hook it up to my Xbox 360 to charge at night. When I wake up it is already half dead! EVEN THOUGH I CHARGED IT ALLLLL NIGHT! 

-reply by Jessica

People should be aware that a "dead" battery may only be "mostly dead" rather than "all dead." Mostly dead is partly alive and can sometimes be brought back.Draining it down completely several times and recharging it full is one way to do that. I have a 5th Gen iPod w/ video that I got three years ago and, although I was worried about battery life and got an extended warranty with it, it has worked great.Recently I did start having problems with the battery only holding charge for maybe 2 hours. I tend to listen to audio books a lot when I am sick (which is often enough) and because of my condition will not login to the computer or plug it in for many days. Instead, I plug it into an AC plug-in 5 v "USB" charger to top it off. This seems to have been the source of the problem. When I ran it down fully and charged it off of the actual USB port on my Mac mini, it has gone back to working fine. Even three years old with constant use, I still get a full day's run time out of it (audio, much less with video or the back light going too long). We have a 12 v DC Renewable Energy system here available in parts of the farm. If I plug the iPod into a DC->USB 5v port it does not seem to cause problems (or the car adapter on trips for that matter), just the AC->5 volt adapter I charge my cell phone off of.The other interesting problem you can have is when you have drained it down too far (trying to wake it up several times after it has emergency powered-off). Plugging it in to your computer to sync won't actually charge the battery. What happens is that iTunes will scan the hard drive to find out what needs to be synced. The power from the USB will wake the iPod up, it starts to sync which runs the hard drive hard, and this draws more power than it is getting from the USB, so it goes back into emergency shuitdown, eventually the USB power wakes it back up, it tries to sync, ... ad nauseum. It can do this for hours unless you catch it. You can watch the screen and see it throwing fits.The way to solve this is to plug it in briefly to something which provides power but does not try to sync it. You can plug it in while someone else's account is active and then tell it not to sync, sometimes you can plug it into a laptop which is asleep (but USB will often still provide power), into a 5 volt chargepack or AC -> 5 v USB adapter. Once it has enough juice to wake up, you can safely plug it back into your Mac/PC and sync it normally. If it failed to sync enough times you may need to reload it completely, but not usually.

I don't get what you mean... You say that he left the battery in the laptop while its fully charged and the computer running? I don't see anything wrong with that. Unless I'm missing something, which I'm sure I am since I don't understand what you're getting at... :)

I believe the parent poster was talking about running the laptop for a long time while plugged in: essentially using it as a desktop. Many laptops are not good at this. If they have AC coming in, they will not use it to power the laptop but to charge the battery. The battery power then runs the computer. This does not allow the battery to drain and refresh and it keeps it running hot, putting stress on the charger circuitry. With many laptops it is better to charge it up and then unplug it until it runs down or to remove the battery when it is on wall power for a long time. You can also just unplug it and let it run down the battery every so often, maybe once a week or so.

Which is best really depends on the laptop and how sophisticated its charging circuitry is. If it is smart about varying the charging voltage according to battery levels, it can do OK. But many laptops and many rechargeable appliances will throw the same voltage at the battery whether it is at 0% or 100% (rather than switching to a "float" charge). That is why a lot of hand-held 2-way radios bite it quickly with the manufacturer's chargers. We have a MacBook about three years old that seems to do this very well (and you can watch its power draw vary with charge level on a volt meter), but my previous Powerbook (G4) did not. It just depends.

ipodwireless?????iPod Battery IssueWhat ya should do is make a wireless ipod charger that way when you gourlaces for example if your ipod dies the ipod wireless can be rite there instead of pluggin it into the computer-reply by serena