xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
infamousflame

Partition A Hard Drive how do you do it?

Hey,I want to create a partiion on my 80Gb hard drive for virtual memory. I currently have C: and D:. D: is a recovery partition. Can anyone tell me how to create a partition? Preferably not by using command lines, but if it's the only way, go ahead.Thanks in advance! :P

I use this DOS version of Norton Ghost. I dunno where I got it though... You need to buy Norton Ghost... I like norton products... I don't think there's a free one and I don't recommend you use free ones incase it might stuff up your computer.

partition magic is an amazing program and not too hard to obtain... not that I endorse pirating software...but...if one were to try to obtain a copy illegally...they probably could quite easily...

hi,the quickest and eaisest way i've found is to use Partion Magic. The program is real simple to use and is even capable to keeping any data intact. You will need to buy it but i think its worth it

Partitioning... to do that you need to use an old DOS-type program called FDISK. Just run it and follow the directions. You'll need to back stuff up first as partioning can destroy the data you already have.

nah madcrow... its come a long way since you've done it last apparently :) While its good to back up "just in case" its rare that problems occur apparently... and theres tons of better ways then fdisk (partition magic weee)

like they said, Partition Magic is the answer. Its very reliable and safe. If you dont want to buy it then surf the net you could always find cracks or serial generator for Partition Magic.... just dont tell them it was me suggesting that heheheeh.............. but here in Philippines, piracy of software is so common that you could buy almost every software with cracks and serial numbers.. anyway.... use Partition Magic........................

Well, there is a lot of methos to pariotion your hard drive, but if you are not so expert in the computer, and you do not have much money to buy another hard disk in case that you crash him I think that you shuold use a program for do that.First of all, make a backup of all your entire hard disk, you can do it using a lot of programs, like one with came with Norton S. Works, or you can do it manually buring CD or if you have DVD burner is so much better. Or if you do not have any burner drive, you can tell one of your friends that please, let to you use their hard drives, to do a backup of yours.Next, search an nice program to do this, I prefer a program called, Partition Magic, is an excelent program ans has a good reabillity. Read the instructions that come with the program and procced to do it. You will finish your process and you will have the partition that you want to have.But if you are trying to install other operation system, like Linux, Solaris, or another OS like that, even a Microsoft OS, (multi OS systemss) you have to read carefull, the instrucctions to do that. For example in Linux you most have carefull, but when you installed you get a smile :D hehe jeje :DHave fun and good lock with this.

So, everybody has the sam opinion : you must use Partition Magic.I would say something more : Parition Magic is the only one allowing you to change your mind. If you created a big partition and need to shrink it, Parition Magic does it.Moreover, you should be able to backup/restore your system disk (C:) at any moment. To do that, I shrinked my c: disk down to 4 gig using Partition Magic, this let a lot of space on my disk for my data. Then I asked Norton Ghost to make a backup of my system disk, and I use this backup (sometimes several times a week) to restore my system after bad tests.So, Partion Magic for creating/shrinking/deleting partitons on your disks, Norton Ghost or PowerQuest DriveImage for making your backups, that's the winning team.