xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trekkie101

Other, More Weird Forum Softwares

Well, today Ir elised more than ever that my beloved SMF is still the best.Today I was doing some tests of the new ->SMF convertors, which are amazing in their selfs, first all you need to specify it the old forum location and the new location, and it will find the database settings and everything by itself, once its got the data it emptys the SMF forum of its data and then moves the old data over. If the server load is going to be too large, it does it in small chunks, I think its 500 messages/members/stuff at a time, so large forums will take a while, but the server wont crash or go slow, its got an auto continue aswell, so you dont even need to click "Continue" it works itself.Well first up on my schedule today was MiniBB, got it setup properly quite quickly, but had to manually set up the config file :P but then again, this package goes for bare minimum of everything.It took an absolute age to fill this forum up with data, it has a flood gate and it doesnt seen editable, so its 60 seconds between posts, an absolute age. But I got there, and it reminded me of what I would miss by leaving SMF. It has next to nothing, bar the post/reply feature, it doesnt even use smileys. Very bare minimum. Its free and from minibb.net But I still recomend SMf over itNext was mercury board, a more sytable product, very nice installer, helped me all the way, very simply worded questions, nothing too hard, it is a lot simpler than most installers, and to a degree beats the SMF installer on friendlyness. Its a VERY nice interface, the orange is remarkable and very nice and easy to use. Its probably the easiest for anyone just learning to post and reply to use, its very simple and the buttons are large. Its admin panel has a feature for you to run SQL querys in it, thats also a general fault, anyone could delete your database if they gained admin. The only thing it lacked was anything extra-ordinary in the way of features, sure its nice, but its not exactly brimming with features, it has the standard stuff, its unbloated, but it doesnt do anything that others dont, its pretty bog standard.But SMF still beats them all by leeps and bounds, although Mercury board was giving SMF a run for its money on speed, but then, I hadnt filled it with topics, and my SMF has 6500+ posts.