xisto Community

I have a compaq presario s4030il. it's quite ancient, but i've upgraded it enough to this config:p4 1.9 GHz (williamette)sis chipset384 mb ddr ramgeforce fx 5200 lg 17" LCD monitorcd/dvd combo40 + 160 GB hard disks...now, i want to know that if i want to upgrade my system, will i need to upgrade everything? cause i've heard processors of a faster speed are no longer available which are compatible. so i guess i'll have to upgrade my motherboard, ram (ddr2) g card (PCIe) and so on, right? any other option??

Hi crs_cwiz.Upgrade for what ? gaming ?Generally all you'll have to do is upgrade the mobo & CPU..everything else you have should work OK.If its gaming you'll have to upgrade video card also.RGPHNX

i would upgrade the whole comp cuz u dont want it to be fast in onr area and then it will be slow in othes so jus upgrade whole thing so this way if u forgot to upgrade somthin then u could do it now and it will make ur comp a much better one i jus upgraded my whole comp and it goes so fast some times i cant even keep up with it

Upgrading the current system is possible, but not the route I would take. As stated, a new motherboard is definitely needed. However, if you wanted to go with the DDR2 and PCI-express, much of the hardware you currently have would not be reusable. You could opt to upgrade the system slightly, but that would only last you for so long. In the end, the only other alternative is to find a system that does not include a monitor so you could reuse the LCD display or purchase an entirely new computer and use the old one for backup or storage.

Yeah. Any upgrading that gives you things like PCIe would basically involve building a new computer: all you could keep would be the case and the psu...That said, AGP is still feasable: you can get nice video card, more RAM and even a new CPU that will work with what you already have...

:) I don't know about you, but I really don't see much of a problem with that computer the way it is.What exactely do you use your computer for? what do you want to upgrade it for the purpose of? If you're just doing surfing and regular computer work, then there' no real point in upgrading much =/If you want to do gaming or be using some high preformance resource hogs, then go for motherboard, cpu and ram (you can never have enough ram =D )If you're just worried about you computer being bogged down and you're starting to notice that it's getting slow then some routine maintenance will probably do the trick. how have you set up your partitions (as in, do you have a partition for operating system, paging file, and then just regular data?) and how often do you drfrag/check for spyware?