xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
crs_cwiz1405241504

Windows Sercurity Centre Is Spyware?

Unbelieveable but true - ever since I've reinstalled windows, I've been getting this message from windows security centre in a dialogue box that my computer is not properly protected and blah, blah.... and it asks me whether i want to learn how to protect my computer (as if i don't know) if i click yes, it opens firefox and takes me to this site which obviously is not a microsoft site. also, many times i get a baloon with a similar message. when i click it, norton says that a "trojan horse" was detected and deleted. so is this how microsoft protects my computer?

lol, that's a bit random, I don't get those messages, so I wouldn't know. I wouldn't have thought that Microsoft would deliberately infect your computer or make it more vulnerable to attacks or viruses etc. However, it is possible that it opens up some vulnerability somehow, and Mircosoft might not know about it. If anyone else has noticed this, please post it here and maybe we should let Microsoft know. :P

If you don't get those messages, and I'm the only one here - It can mean only one thing - spyware/trojans. But that is weird, since i use norton antivirus 2004 (updated), aware se and spybot s&d, and still nothing has been detected. and yes, no suspicious processes in msconfig or the registry.

maybe they think it's microsoft so they dont' detect it but when you click the bubble they notify you it's a trojan because windows software doesnt do that? try reinstalling again if you don't have much files

maybe they think it's microsoft so they dont' detect it but when you click the bubble they notify you it's a trojan because windows software doesnt do that? try reinstalling again if you don't have much files

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, reinstalling won't be possible since I have over 100 GB of files, and seting up things to as they were before will take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time (plus there is a headache of updating windows all over again)

so i guess i'll just have to bear the grudge and live with it.

or do I???????

It is obvious you have a Trojan on your computer manipulating your “windows security alert”.I visited the link and there is no site present. Also if the popup does not take you to a site that has Microsoft anywhere in the name then you should get suspicious.What windows security alert does is check to see if windows firewall is active and if you have any anti-virus software installed. It tracks these programs and alerts you if some thing is wrong.Windows security alert is a good thing! It has alerted me every time my anti-virus program sends up an alert about something or is warning me about outdated definitions. If my firewall goes down or my anti-virus program stop running or is disabled I know.

Yea... Windows is **** but it wouldn't send you to spyware, that would just be retarded on levels inconceivable by me. They'd get their asses sued so fast :|Also, using adaware and SS&D and whatnot dont mean you have no spyware...new stuff is made all the time and unless the people know to fix against it those programs would never defend against it. Oh and if you have 100gigs of data, you should have a dvd burner...end of story. Backups a breeze with the right hardware :P

Oh, sorry for the double post, but I also had to say that to the "windows secuirty alert is a good thing" comment...it CAN be a good thing. Not for everyone... it *****es at me 24/7 for having the firewall turned off (as it conflicted with some programs and my router has a hardware firewall so I dont care if its on) and about my anti-virus being out of date even though its not because its a version of mcafee from work so doesn't update thru the real mcafee site... so for many it could be good, but not all, as all it does for me is annoy me about things I already know. :P**end of rant**

Well, i finally got rid of norton and installed avast in place and the first virus scan threw up over 148 spyware, trojans and adware + plus viruses!!! whew!!! I wonder how norton managed to fail to notice all those. But the good news is that i'm no longer getting those messages or thos baloon helps, which efeectively means that my comp is finally (almost) virus free. so there!!!