xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SpartacusUSTASA

Axis And Allies Anyone played it?

Has anyone played the new Axis and Allies yet? I was thinking of getting it, but I'm not sure if it's good.It does have a good review from gamespyYou'd never guess that one of this year's best real-time strategy games and one of this year's worst real-time strategy games were made by the same developer. With Kohan II, Timegate Studios established itself as imaginative, innovative, and talented developers with a keen sense for what it takes to turn a great design into a great game. With Axis & Allies, well, not so much. You could say the company has broken even this year.What made Kohan one of the all-time great real-time strategy games is only partly carried over into Axis & Allies, a World War II-themed makeover of Kohan's basic gameplay. The most notable through line is the way you build and manage your forces. You build regiments rather than individual units (in Kohan, you could design your own regiments, but they're fixed in Axis & Allies). You then manage them as groups, setting their formations and moving them around the map. During combat, the A.I. controls the individual units on a tactical level. They fight battles until they've won, until their morale breaks and they flee, or until you give them orders to pull back.As Kohan demonstrated, this works great for infantry battles. But when Axis & Allies throws the machinery of modern war into the mix, it becomes a messy goulash of combined arms. There's a soft-pedaled paper/rock/scissor interplay between infantry, armor, and artillery that basically comes down to damage modifiers buried under the hood. It gets hopelessly jumbled up once you introduce mechanized infantry, machineguns, recon teams, anti-tank weapons, anti-infantry guns, and various weight classes of tanks, often into the same regiment. It's particularly messy during the actual fighting. This is not the sort of game that lends itself to positioning your anti-tank weapons in the trees while covering your infantry's advance with artillery and armor. Instead, it comes down to just scooping up a whole mess of units and telling them where to go. Geronimo! However, by virtue of the game design, the particulars of unit interaction aren't your concern, so your strategy is a matter of choosing what to build. And here's where Axis & Allies veers away from Kohan's clean elegance and hurtles headlong into the realm of bad game design choices with bad interfaces. Axis & Allies organizes its regiments into divisions attached to headquarters. Based on centuries of military history, this obviously works great in the real world. Based on how hard it is to keep track of everything in Axis & Allies, this doesn't work so great in an RTS, especially when the interface is so stingy with vital information.The result is a sprawling base building sub-game, whereby you have to (1) unlock a headquarters by building its prerequisite headquarters and brigades; (2) then build it; (3) then drive it somewhere to deploy it; (4) then wait for it to unpack; (5) build its component regiments one at a time. It's just as rigid and obtuse as real-world military hierarchies. It's hard to believe these are the same developers who single-handedly solved so many of the traditional problems of unit management and base-building three years ago with the original Kohan.The resource model is also tied into this sprawling base building sub-game. You earn gold from your headquarters, but you build ammo and oil depots to support your units, peppering the map with the mobile equivalent of Warcraft's farms. There are fixed cities on the map you can control for additional resources, but these are more significant for extending your supply.

I have played and own both the old and new version of Axis and Allies for the PC. The new version is EXCELLENT if you enjoy playing Real-Time Strategy games. The older version is good if you like the board game and want to play the board game on the PC. They are basically the same thing. I reccommend getting the newer version, but that is just one enthusiastic gammers opinion.

I still need to play the new version of Axis and Allies. I hear it has good reviews. Right now i'm on a low gaming budget so I will wait until the price of the game goes down. I was really bad when I bought Empire Earth for $50, and now they have a Golden edition of Empire Earth and the Expansion pack for only $20!!! I also bought the game "Black and White" for $50 and now they sell that game along with the expansion pack for only $9.99!!! I feel like I have been getting scammed. ;)

We picked the game up about two months ago. From the box the game didn't look all that bad. But once in the game it just wasn't appelling to me. Gameplay wasn't fun to me. Almost wish I didn't buy the game. But then again it probably goes back to what your preference of playing a game is. Could be exciting to some out there!

get rid of chat

Axis And Allies

How do you get rid of the chat systim while you are playing multiplayer so while you play the message thing does not pop up

-reply by danny

I played it for computer.Its a O.K. game but the game play wasn't that great.Graphics were pretty good, nothing really looked that bad and terrible.Multiplayer was just like single player and wasn't that good either.All in all, Its not worth buying unless you really love games like it and have some extra cash.